Question about yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
I recently (several days ago) started two batches of muscadine wine planning on using wild yeast as i have in the past but i am concerned about how theae 2 batches will work since the grapes have been frozen. I ordered some Montrachet Red star yeast, which should be in today. How exactly do i go about adding it? Also do i add the correct amount of yeast based on the total gallons of my berries and must mixture? Both batches are in 5 gallon jugs and are probably 3 1/2 gallon in each jug.

You are right to be worried about getting wild yeast from your frozen must.

My reccomendation: split a packet of the yeast equally between the two 3 1/2 gallon batches (yes, that's based on volume as you guessed).

Good luck! :)

Do i stir in the yeast with the wine when i pour it in or just pour it in op top and leave it?

Do i stir in the yeast with the wine when i pour it in or just pour it in op top and leave it?

Follow recommendation by the instructions on packet. Yeast are formulated a specific way, some use hydration/starter methods while some are simply sprinkled on.

Follow recommendation by the instructions on packet. Yeast are formulated a specific way, some use hydration/starter methods while some are simply sprinkled on.

Packet said to mix with 1/4 cup of water. Made no mentionnon how to putnit in wine...

Packet said to mix with 1/4 cup of water. Made no mentionnon how to putnit in wine...

I simply stir the must well to aerate and then pour the hydrated yeast across the top. Then 12 hours later I stir, then stir 2x/day gently for 1-2 minutes until I transfer to carboy. Works for me.

Back