Question about yeast banking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuc224

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I asked some questions about building big starters to start a yeast bank and a lot of you all helped me a lot in finding what to do and how to do it. Thank you for that, now im stuck in a spot that i just cannot understand or comprehend.

When I looked up most yeast banking questions, I saw the whole glycerin/water mixture ratios and how to content, what has me on the fence is the amount of yeast per vial stored. Ive seen people say 25ml yeast and 25ml glycerin mix, but most say 5ml of yeast and 5ml glycerin mix. So my questions are :

1) Does the yeast starter completely depend on the starter volume and DME completely? Meaning with very little yeast can i grow it as big as the flasks volume/DME will allow?
2) Do you decant the glycerin/water mixture before pitching or just throw it all in?

I hope my question is clear and thank you all for the great help.

1. I don't completely understand your question, but if starting from frozen, you'll really want to baby the yeast along. Low volume, low gravity to start with. You can go a bit larger with more initial slurry. 100 ml starter at 1.010-20? Haven't done it in a while - can't remember. Once that's done, you can step it up a couple times.
2. No. Throw it all in.

Back