Question about Wort chilling for lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipmunk

Reaction score
In the book “brewing classic styles” they recommended chilling the wort to 7dC before pitching. I typically chill my wort with my coil down to around 16dC (or until I run out of patience...) then transfer to the fermenter and stick it in the fridge/chamber with my starter and pitch when it reaches 7dC - then set the temp to 10dC. I’ve been in the habit of leaving my airlock on the fermenter, but dry - I was thinking that as the wort cools it will absorb oxygen from the airspace and settle in at around 10 or 12 ppm based on the charts. Question is:
- Does leaving a batch of oxygenated wort overnight hurt the beer in any way? I suppose I could try to do some kind of a no-chill method or do the ice bucket trick with my coil.

- Does leaving a batch of oxygenated wort overnight hurt the beer in any way?

Yes, it causes oxidation (staling). Normally, when you add oxygen either right before or right after pitching yeast, the yeast take up all that oxygen within about an hour.

Back