Question about welded couplers/bulkheads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNugent

Reaction score
About to have my female couplers welded into my kettles for my lines. I know it's more personal preference than anything but those that have been here before.......

Did you weld them so that they were flush/nearly flush with the inside of the kettle or did you weld them so the coupler was basically half in/half-out?

Any advantages to either? Did you do it one way and wish you went the other? Only get one shot at this so I thought I'd ask.

I did it both ways at differrent location for different needs.
Mine is a keggle, so it's pretty thick material, which makes it really strong, but the weld is bigger than you would have on a thinner kettle, so it was a little more work grinding/sanding/polishing the weld. It also required more heat, which also added to the finishing process.
Regardless, The half in/half out ones are more work because they are harder to access from the interior for the sanitary finishing that you need to do.
The flush ones are easier because it's fairly easy to get in there and sand/polish it flush.
Both ways, the weld is from the outside, with the inside being covered and purged with a remote shielding gas.
Hope that helps.

I think usually if you are putting in a full coupler (threaded from both sides) you would weld it in half in and half out. If you were adding a half coupler (threaded from one side only) you'd weld it in flush. This is not 100% and you could do whatever you wanted but it's usually what people do.

Thanks guys. My main concern was from the sanitary/cleaning side of things on the inside but I don't want a full coupler sticking outside my pot either so I think I will just go half and half. I believe I have finally found a welder who seems to know what he's talking about and has the experience to do the job right.

Back