Question about temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHoss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 10 gallons of Red Ale sitting in my heated fermentation room and now that the airlock activity has died down or ceased I was thinking about turning off the heater and letting the fermenters slowly drop down to an ambient 50 degrees or so. It's been 1 week in primary and although I haven't taken a hydrometer reading I think fermentation may still be going on to a small degree.
My reason for doing this is to help clear up the brew. What's you alls opinion on this idea?

Take a hydro reading and make sure the beer is done fermenting. After that....do what you want. I usually have my brews in the temp. controlled primary for about 2 weeks, then it's anything goes as far as temp.

Take a hydro reading and make sure the beer is done fermenting. After that....do what you want. I usually have my brews in the temp. controlled primary for about 2 weeks, then it's anything goes as far as temp.

I usually do also, I was just curious what the opinions would be.

Back