Question About SRM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard of some induction burners cause excess carmelization which would affect SRM. One of my co-workers made a Kolsch and didn't take it off the flame when he added the extract. That changed the Kolsch into a Brown...

Interesting. I have an electric stove and I try to keep the boil down to a slow roll, right around med-high. I walked away and left it on high after the hot break and first hop edition. Guess I'll see when it hits a glass.

I'm sure it will be great. Most brewers boil harder than I do and their beer is fine.

I always put a little Honey Malt in my cream ales. It's not really per style, but my first cream ale from Northern Brewer had it and I really liked it. I'm not looking to win any competitions so...

The harder you boil, the more maillard reactions will take place and the wort darkens. Also, higher pH in the wort leads to more maillard reactions. So it's not just about how hard you boil, but also the pH of the wort.

Your brew should turn out tasting fine. Wort will darken during the boil if high heat is used for long period of time (caramelization usually from direct heat on a stove top or when directly on a gas flame), partial boil, high gravity wort and especially when using extract.
A vigorous boil does a lot more than just pasteurize, the boil helps with hop utilization and large protein formation. If your worried about color I know a few who did a 15-20 min boil and adjusted their hop additions accordingly and ended up with a good beer in the end.

I was wondering that if you have too hard of a boil will it effect the SRM.

Yes. I've done two identical pale ale batches.
The first was boiled at a simmer. (Light boil)
The second was a full rolling boil for 60 mins.

Even with the top up water that I added at the end of the boil so the volumes matched, the color was significantly darker.

Latest posts

Back