Question about Roselare Ale Blend, no activity after 48 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstew

Reaction score
I brewed a wild ale with Roeselare Ale Blend 3763 on Saturday. The manufacture date was 6 months ago, so its old. I see zero activity in the airlock. I assume the bugs are still viable, but should I wash/pitch some Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey I have a Belgian Dark Strong sitting on?

I would just let it ride for a while. Do not rely on the airlock activity for actual fermentation activity taking place. How large is the fermentor? How full is it? In my experience, Roselare just took a while. I put 5 gal away in a crawl space 2 years ago, still haven't bottled/kegged it.

I would just let it ride for a while. Do not rely on the airlock activity for actual fermentation activity taking place. How large is the fermentor? How full is it? In my experience, Roselare just took a while. I put 5 gal away in a crawl space 2 years ago, still haven't bottled/kegged it.

6 gallon better bottle with just over 5 gallons of wort. I know that airlock activity isn't a sign of fermentation, but it's an S style airlock and I can tell there's no out pressure being put on it. It's definitely sealed because if I squeeze the better bottle I can see pressure build in the airlock.

Not like it can get any more infected than what I put in.....I was actually reading that the slower the sach take off, the more chance the lacto and pedio have a chance to build colonies which leads to more sour beer.

I'll let it be.

This is good, you want a slow start.

Add sacc after 4 or 5 days if you are worried.

You didn't mention the temp of the fermenter. Depending on the temp you are currently at, I would recommend ramping the temp a degree a day until you get into the high 70s.

You didn't mention the temp of the fermenter. Depending on the temp you are currently at, I would recommend ramping the temp a degree a day until you get into the high 70s.

Temp is currently at 68 degrees. I'll start ramping up over the next 10 days.

I just recently used this for a Flanders Red and mine took off within 12 hours.... i have the wort at 70*F

I just hit the smack pack before starting to brew and just pitched it after the wort was ready. i didnt use any o2 like i would with most of my beers which usually helps it take off sooner.

Back