Question about reading recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnance

Reaction score
I'm working on planning my 3rd brew and want to try a clone recipe I found but am having a little trouble understanding some of it....

First, on the ingredients list, it lists
-6.6 lbs Briess Pilsner unhopped liquid malt extract
-2.0 lbs dried malt extract
-3.0 lb Pilsner malt

It just says "dry malt extract," but listed in this form, I assume it means of the same kind as the liquid listed previously, correct?

Side question, what is the purpose of using liquid and dry extract and some of the actual malt all of the same kind in a recipe? I've seen formulas for conversion from liquid to dry and back, so I assumed as long as you adjusted the amount it would be the same. But is there a benefit to dividing the total amount of malt needed and using some of each form?

Then, under the actual instructions part, it says Steep the crushed grain in 2 gallons of water at 154 ºF for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort and rinse with 2 quarts of hot water.

I know how to steep the grains (assuming it's only referring to the 3 lbs of whole malt (would that be considered "specialty grains" in this case, or is this a partial mash recipe?)) but I'm not sure what it means by "rinse with 2 quarts of hot water."
Someone else mentioned that this is a partial mash recipe so I would have to mash the malt instead of steeping it. From what I've read, the process isn't so different as it is more based on what is happening chemically with the beer. But are the different types of malt available that would determine whether I need a steeping step or a mashing step?

Dried Malt Extract (DME) is basically Liquid Malt Extract, but with out the liquid. It can be used to increase the level of ferment able material without adding liquid.if you use more LME instead of the DME, your volume will be higher.

The rinse step is there to wash more of the sugars from the Pilsner malt. Drain off the first mash liquid, then add the additional water and stir, just as you would with the first water additna. Collect the liquid from the second steep/mash and add it to the boil kettle.

Pilsner malt is a base malt and need the mashing step to convert the starches to ferment able and non-ferment able sugars.

Good luck with your brew!

Most extract recipes are like that.
Liquid malt (LME) typically comes in 3.3# cans. So that is 2 whole cans for the recipe.

The balance of fermentables (to get to your OG) is added with a quantity of Dry malt extract (DME). Any amount could be weighted or scooped out.

If you can buy LME in bulk, you could make the entire recipe from that, 100% LME if you want, no DME needed. Or make it from 100% Pilsner DME if you can't get or want to use LME.

I always use the lightest version, extra light or pilsner, since it will darken. The lights don't have any crystal additives. I prefer to use the light extracts and create flavor and color with steeping grains or partial mash.

What puzzles me too in that recipe is the 3# of Pilsner malt, a base malt. Used as a specialty malt it makes little sense as it gives off little flavor. Typically base malts need to be mashed to convert the starches to sugar (fermentables). Now at 154°F you are at a mashing temperature and if you use about 1.5 qt of water per pound of grains, you would be mashing, but you'll have to leave it at that temperature for about an hour (I use a preheated but turned off oven).
Then you sparge it with the same amount of hot water (170°).

What kind of beer are you cloning? Recipe perhaps?

It is my understanding that all Pilners (unless modified) need to be mashed. Some grains only require steeping such as Caramel/Crystal Malts, Chocolate, and Carafoam which are used mostly for color and head retention and do not contribute significantly to fermentable sugars.

This does look like a partial mash recipe and doing a partial mash is pretty easy. It's basically the step between extract w/ specialty grain brewing and all-grain brewing. It is basically steeping with the additional step of rinsing the grain. Simply google "partial mash" and you will find 100s of posts and videos.

I've only completed a couple of partial mashes and they turned out great. Even when I make all grain recipes I use DME to make up for a poor mash and reach my pre-boil gravity estimates so I guess this could be considered a partial mash.

Recipe was published by BYO. Here is the HBT link: Abita Andygator Clone

I'm not familiar with brewing doppelbocks (which is a lager style) but it looks like a weird recipe.
They say steeping the 3# of Pilsner malt for 30 minutes...wonder what they try to accomplish with that. Also tells you to boil the extracts for the full 60 minutes, which is not good. Then they pitch the lager yeast at 75°F and let it cool to 65°F.... No mention of a yeast starter, which would be more appropriate.

Who is Andy?

Back