Question about power cord...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MillriftJim

Reaction score
Hi there. I have a question that I'm quite sure has a simple answer, but as it involves electricity, and I've been unable to completely satisfy myself after several stinkin' hours of looking around on the internet, I thought I'd ask it here and see if I could make myself feel better.

I'm putting together one of those light bulb in a can things to heat the acoustic fermentation chamber that I'm making. I went to wire the light bulb earlier, and grabbed the cord I had lying around, which is from a long-forgotten computer or computer peripheral. Cut the end off the cord, the wires are odd colors (not black/white/green) but that's cool, I know what they mean. BUT, there's another wire in the cord, bare, and it looks like aluminum. WTH is this, I thought, did some research, found out it's a shielded wire. So what do I do with this extra, bare aluminium wire? I'm PRETTY sure I can just tie it in with the ground in the light fixture, but like I said I haven't entirely convinced myself. Any help? Confirmation? Denial? Anything? Thanks!

It is indeed a shield and is not necessary for a light at all. You can just cut the wire out entirely. Shielding is more for digital data items, such as a computer. If you want to use it just hook it up with the ground at the light. They are essentially the same wire.

Back