Question about notty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I brewed two batches recently. The first was Centennial Blonde and the other was Bells Two Hearted IPA. I used Notty for both. Rehydrated and pitched at 70*.
The Centennial I bottled today after 2.5 weeks in primary. It was in a fermentation bucket so i couldnt see what was going on. When i opened the bucket, there was a little krausen ring but not much. I wasnt going to check the FG as the batch was a little under 2 gallons. I had some left over so went ahead and checked. It was 1.021. SO that leads me to believe something happened with the yeast. I fermented at 65 for the entire 2.5 weeks.

The Bells shows very little activity. It's been one week and this is what it looks like. Should I pitch some slurry I have to get his going as it sure looks like nothing happened.

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

I believe I would try to repitch. I just made an English Pale Ale with Nottingham and it got down to 1.008. I did some research on Nottingham beforehand and found that the recommended range is lower than 70, with the common wisdom to ferment as low as you can within the range. So, I am guessing you may have been too high. I would try US-05 or perhaps some fresh Nottingham at a lower temp. Good luck.

I always taste anything before I bottle it and really, we should always check SGs as bottle bombs are so dangerous. Yeast like higher temperatures but we don't like the beer they produce at those temps. They don't like temp fluctuations. Tend to stall. I wrap my fermenters in camping mats. I dream of a brew fridge. Good luck.

Best (only) way to know what's going on is to check the SG. Looks like less than a gallon? Notty would chew that up in a few days with the right temps. There's a butt-load of yeast cake, so there was certainly a successful reproduction phase.

If you're worried about losing beer to the SG check, brew a bigger batch next time:cross: Or you could sanitize your hydro real well and put it into that jug if you have a good exit strategy for that.

you could sanitize your hydro real well and put it into that jug if you have a good exit strategy for that.

Duct tape is your friend. Tape a string to the neck of the hydrometer and gently lower it into the jug (don't let it bang on the bottom).

The 1021 was a hyro reading, right? not refracto?

Duct tape is your friend. Tape a string to the neck of the hydrometer and gently lower it into the jug (don't let it bang on the bottom).

The 1021 was a hyro reading, right? not refracto?

Correct- hydro reading. Let me clarify- the hydro was taken on the Centennial Blonde I bottled last night. I'll follow your advise and lower the hydro in the carboy and check the gravity.

Best (only) way to know what's going on is to check the SG. Looks like less than a gallon? Notty would chew that up in a few days with the right temps. There's a butt-load of yeast cake, so there was certainly a successful reproduction phase.

If you're worried about losing beer to the SG check, brew a bigger batch next time:cross: Or you could sanitize your hydro real well and put it into that jug if you have a good exit strategy for that.

I normally brew 1 gallon batches when I am testing. I usually brew 3 gallons.
The blonde I bottled had a good yeast cake as well so it appeared there was a reproduction phase. Not sure why there was no krausen.

as for the amount, it's right at 1 gallon-not really worried about losing any amount of beer to testing.
I'll try what Soccer Dad suggested this evening and go from there. It's been a week since brew day so i would expect the gravity should have dropped a good bit.

Just remember that any weight on the hydro itself is going to screw with the reading

The weight of duct tape and string will probably throw off the hydrometer reading. Just tying light fishing line around it would probably be better. Beware though, it will be very easy for the fishing line to slide off the glass and, I don't know how long your hydrometer is, but mine is too long to take gravity readings in a 1 gallon jug, so if it slips it will crash into the bottom.

I have fishing line I'll use. Just need an approximate measurement

It would be safer to prevent the hydrometer from slipping in and breaking. Experiment with tape and string, in calibration temperature tap water, to see how much the weight of the tape and string throws the reading off.

The weight of duct tape and string will probably throw off the hydrometer reading. Just tying light fishing line around it would probably be better. Beware though, it will be very easy for the fishing line to slide off the glass and, I don't know how long your hydrometer is, but mine is too long to take gravity readings in a 1 gallon jug, so if it slips it will crash into the bottom.

I'll check that out when I get home.

Have you checked it against distilled water? Maybe the paper slid in the tube and your readings are off. I imagine tap or bottled would work too.

Going to re-pitch today. There's about 3/4 gallon. How much slurry should I pitch? I was thinking an ounce or two but not sure.

Going to re-pitch today. There's about 3/4 gallon. How much slurry should I pitch? I was thinking an ounce or two but not sure.

What is the slurry from? If the problem is the Notty, I would pitch something else that you know attenuates well in your environment. Can you get hold of some US-05 or something with a higher range than the Notty? If you are just reusing the same yeast, I would think you are going to end up with the same problem.

What is the slurry from? If the problem is the Notty, I would pitch something else that you know attenuates well in your environment. Can you get hold of some US-05 or something with a higher range than the Notty? If you are just reusing the same yeast, I would think you are going to end up with the same problem.

I have notty slurry but I pitched 2 oz of Denny's slurry I had. Did it this morning and as of 4:40 no activity.

Back