Question about natural carbonation in a keg, and bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDrinkRepeat

Reaction score
Since I started kegging I have never naturally carbonated a keg, always force-carbed, but I’d like to try it out. I’m on the understanding that if you have a full keg you need to use less priming sugar due to the lack of headspace.

I’d also like to make bottling for competitions simpler, so my plan is to prime the batch with the normal amount for bottling, then fill at least six (and maybe as many as twelve) bottles immediately from the keg using a picnic tap and a bottling wand. This should result in properly carbed bottles, and plenty of headspace in the keg for carbonation using the full amount of sugar. (Of course if it’s a bit too low it should equalize once I put it under pressure in the kegerator.)

Sound reasonable?

Since I started kegging I have never naturally carbonated a keg, always force-carbed, but I’d like to try it out. I’m on the understanding that if you have a full keg you need to use less priming sugar due to the lack of headspace.

I’d also like to make bottling for competitions simpler, so my plan is to prime the batch with the normal amount for bottling, then fill at least six (and maybe as many as twelve) bottles immediately from the keg using a picnic tap and a bottling wand. This should result in properly carbed bottles, and plenty of headspace in the keg for carbonation using the full amount of sugar. (Of course if it’s a bit too low it should equalize once I put it under pressure in the kegerator.)

Sound reasonable?

Yes, generally you'd use about 1/2 of the priming sugar for kegging as you would bottling. However, if you want to bottle from the keg with the primed beer, you can do so by using the whole amount of sugar.

Some people like to bottle from the keg with already carbed beer, and that works well too especially for people who want sediment-free bottled beer.

Either way would be fine.

Back