Question About Naming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninpolearner

Reaction score
What do you call a mead made with a particular variety of honey? Like a mead with herbs is a metheglin or with fruit, a melomel. I'm making some labels for a mead I made with orange blossom honey. The only thing I've found is show mead, but that's more a descriptor, not a name.

I would just put Orange Blossom Mead on the label, but, when I told people I was making an orange blossom mead, they asked me where I got orange blossoms. Then I'd explain that no, it was just orange blossom honey, not the flowers. I'd like it to be simply put and elegant. Also, using special mead vocabulary helps me feel pretentious. ;-) lol

Anybody got anything?

Thanks!

A mead with just honey is a traditional. A show mead is a traditional with nothing but honey water and yeast (no nutrients etc).

Just call it "traditional" if people are getting confused about ingredients. Otherwise you can call it a "honey wine"

You can put what type of honey on maybe the description. Something like "Honey wine brewed with Orange Blossom honey"

I would just call it mead, but that's just me ....you can call it whatever you like - Orange Blossom Mead would be perfectly OK beings as you used OB to make it. Names and categories are 2 different things, obviously. I call my ginger habanero mead "Firewater" ... classifying/categorizing really is only important if you're entering competition, and, although I have no experience in that area, I don't think they make distinctions on variety of honey...although I could be wrong. The sky's the limit as far as names...as far as category, it sounds like plain mead.
<edit> yeah, traditional, as opposed to show as pointed out by MarshmallowB :) I just call 'em whatever, as no one but meadmakers knows/cares about the distinctions anyway, they just want to partake of something that tastes great...

Create an original name that lends itself to the mead. Something like "orange delight" or "springs' bounty"

rhino farts and rocket fuel!

Back