Question about my keg conditioning process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarrymore

Reaction score
I'd like some advice from more experience brewers on how I should be conditioning my beer. Here is my current process.

Brew -> Ferment -> Cold crash-> Keg beer -> Force carb at kegerator temps -> Keep it in the kegerator at about 3-4c for a few weeks to age/condition.

I feel that with this process, even after a few weeks of conditioning, the flavor barely improves. Over 6-8 weeks the flavor is almost same though slightly better. My conclusion is that perhaps the temperature at which I am aging is too cold. I wanted to change the process to the following and wanted advice from some more experienced brewers.

Brew -> Ferment -> Cold crash-> Keg -> Force carb-> Let it age at warmer temperatures, about 20-25c for a few more weeks

Does that sound better? I guess my question is if it is ill advised to cold crash before aging. The reason I want to cold crash first is so I can get it in the keg to make room for another batch of beer to ferment.

Thanks!

IMO beer should taste good going into the keg, if it doesn't there's issues with your fermentation.

IMO beer should taste good going into the keg, if it doesn't there's issues with your fermentation.

Pretty much this ^.

What type of beer are we talking about? The only styles I’ve noticed much of a change in are the dark roasty ones, pretty much everything else is best fresh. I think mine peak at about a week, by then I’ve pulled enough pints to get the last of anything that fell out of suspension when I chilled the keg. Beyond that they should stay stable for quite a while.

If you don’t have a way to protect the beer from oxygen during cold crash I’d stop doing it and just use the keg as a secondary container in which you cold crash, the junk that falls out will mostly flush out in the first pint and be completely gone after a half dozen. Oxygen will slowly kill your beer which undermines your aging process.

If you like your beer to "mature", you can either leave it longer in the fermenter (which also drops a lot of yeast so you don't need to cold crash) or keg it and let it set warm for a week or more (much more for an RIS).

Back