Question About Mini-Fridge Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtfDean

Reaction score
I am converting a 4.5cf Haier mini fridge into a kegerator. When I started pulling all of the shelves out I realized that the freezer compartment wasn't just a shelf, but the cooling coils for the unit. After doing some googling I found that people bend the shelf flat and put it somewhere else. I bent my mostly flat and reoriented it against the back left of the fridge and secured it to the back wall with a few wood screws. I didn't kink or split any freon piping, but my question is about the orientation of the freon supply line after modifying the freezer shelf. The line originally came straight up to the top of the fridge where the freezer shelf was, and now I have a lazy "U" bend in the supply line (Pic below). The fridge turns on and cools like it did before, but I'm wondering if the new orientation of the freon line is bad for the fridge (eg. does the fact that the supply line points down rather than up prevent reuptake or something?) I don't know much about how these things work so if anyone has input based on personal experience that would be great.

20141115_155425.jpg

Having limited, but some experience, as in watching and asking questions.... I think you are fine. The lines shouldnt matter. Now the unit that is under the bump, that you would not want to turn on its side. Hope this helps.
Tom

Thanks for the reassurance! I won't be turning the compressor on its side so it sounds like I'm ok.

Back