Question about lagering and attenuation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverz

Reaction score
I brewed up my first lager a few weeks ago and have been following this fermentation schedule using my brew pi.

Ferment 52F 2wks
Drest 65F 3days
Back down to 50F for 2days
Transfer to secondary 50F 2wks
Keg lager for 2wks

This 5.25 gallon batch had an OG of 1.052 and pitched with 2 packets of w-74/30 pitched at 52F. The original recipe said the FG will be 1.009. with an ABVof 4.99%.

I just transferred to the secondary and decided to check the gravity. It measured 1.016. I was really hoping it would be closer to FG by now.

Will it continue to attenuate is the secondary? I really don't see it getting all the way down to 1.009 but am hopeful.

I am very new to lagers so I'm not sure if this is normal. The wort tastes pretty good but it's still a tad sweeter than I would like. I'm really hoping it ferments more.

Thoughts?

From reading I think you needed to do the D-rest sooner and warmer. The yeast still need to be active and the D-rest will help them get the last of the sugars and intermediate product cleaned up. As you lower the temperature the activity of the yeast will slow dramatically and it may never get to as low a FG as you would like.

Id say you've probably got all the attenuation your likely to get. Keep in mind it might not be perceptibly sweeter once carbonated. As co2 will add slight bite once dissolved into the beer.

Moral of the story there is no pre-made fermentation schedule. I should have done the "d rest" before primary fermentation showed indications of being finished.

Latest posts

Back