Question about IPA yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
I forgot to get US05 or the smack packs that i normally use. I have 2 packs of Nottingham would that be OK for an IPA?

The HBS is like 30 mins away. I can go later but would rather not. Brewing now.

any thoughts?

It will work. It won't showcase the hops as much and likely be a little sweeter, but it will work fine.

FYI, my absolute favorite IPA yeast is the East Coast IPA yeast from Gigayeast. Find this stuff and you'll be golden.

Nottingham will be fine.

Hey, some of by best brewing discoveries have come out of situations like that. In fact, I had a situation just like that earlier this year, and had to use a different yeast for an IPA at the last minute. Turns out I like the substitute yeast more than the one I planned to use. Brew on!

I just used some wyeast scottish ale for an ipa. Turned out so good I will use it a lot more. I believe those are similar strains. Be thankful that you didn't get the US05. That stuff leaves a peachy off flavor.

nottingham usually finishes low, ime. ferments low, too. i have taken it down to 61-2 and it chugged along.

did a recent batch (sculpin clone) with it, and the gravity is 1.013 and dropping - fermented at 66.

Latest posts

Back