question about hopbursting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
i've read a good bit about hopbursting and haven't run across a direct answer to this...what if i put all my hops in at like the 1 minute mark? It calculates out to 89 IBU's. Is there anything wrong with this?

i've read a good bit about hopbursting and haven't run across a direct answer to this...what if i put all my hops in at like the 1 minute mark? It calculates out to 89 IBU's. Is there anything wrong with this?

It all depends on what you're going for. You're not going to get a lot of isomerisation in that short a time period, so you'll have a lot of aroma, a bit of flavour, and not a whole lot of bitterness, because bitterness is going to come primarily from iso-alpha acids. If you do this because you want that fresh flavour, drink it quick, because it will drop out quickly in the keg or bottle.

If you let them steep after flameout and don't chill or just chill to 170F and hold for a while, you will still get decent levels of isomerization.

Back