Question about fermentation vessels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pricelessbrewing

Brewer's Friend Software Manager
Reaction score
I have 3G of apple juice, and want to start my next batch.
(just finished a 1G test, and it tastes pretty good although I left it kinda dry for SWMBO tastes) 1.010

Intended recipe
3G juice, 1 can of APJC, maybe some Brown sugar. Leave in 3.5G carboy for 1 week each at 62, 63,65. Then bottle 1G at a time
Problem: Only have 1 1G carboy/Jug, and don't want to pay 6$ for more.

So this time I want to do 3 1g variations. Letting them go dry then back sweetening with concentrate
1 semi sweet 1.015 ish
1 Sweeter 1.02 ish
1 semi sweet with apple cherry concentrate 1.015

Which of the following routes should I go?
A) Put in 3.5G carboy, and let primary finish then rack to secondary plastic jugs the juice was sold in for secondary aging? Add concentrate at bottling.

B) Put in 3.5G carboy, let primary finish but only rack 1G at a time onto bottling bucket and bottle after the 3 week primary. Leaving remaining 2G until finished, then repeat as desired for 3 1G bottling sessions back to back.

I would stay away from option B, as you rack, air will be drawn into the carboy

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yea I figured, but it would be less oxygen exposure than when racking to a secondary as the still present C02 should buffer it enough to handle the 2-3 hours/overnight until I bottle the remaining 2 gallons right?

Is it unwise to secondary back into the plastic jugs from whence they came, as long as they're oxycleaned and star san'd?

Is it unwise to secondary back into the plastic jugs from whence they came, as long as they're oxycleaned and star san'd?

problem is, if you backsweeten without pasteurizing or tossing in some campden, you're going to build up pressure in the bottles, and those bottles aren't meant to hold pressure. if you pasteurize or otherwise stop fermentation, you should be fine.

Opening question has become irrelevant, craigslist has several 1G jugs for 3$ each. Worthwhile investment, comparable from getting the juice from wholefoods and saves me gas money as he's 5 minutes away and WF is 30+.

Plan is now: primary in 3.5G carboy for 1 week each at 63/65, then secondary for about a month or so (or until remaining cider is all drank), then cold crash for a week and bottle each with concentrate added at bottling.

Side note: 1 can of concentrate contains 162g of sugar, or 5.7124 Oz of sugar. Easier to calculate intended gravity/sugar content this way.

Back