Question About Danstar Munich Wheat Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MannyEdwards

Reaction score
I'm trying to work out several problems with my Hefeweizen. One of them has to do with the weakness of the clove and banana aromas. I used Danstar Munich Wheat Yeast and fermented at 64, hoping to get more clove. I don't really like a strong banana flavor as in the Yazoo Hef, but more of the clove as in the Paulaner.

Mine didn't produce much clove, but it didn't produce much banana, either. It's good, and I see the potential, but it's just a bit anemic.

So these questions go out to anyone who has an interest in giving me a few tips:

1. Have you been able to get a distinctive clove note using this yeast?
2. If so, what was your pitch rate and fermentation temp?
3. What was your OG and FG?
4. If you have any other tips or suggestions, I'd welcome them!!

I've not use that yeast so can't say from personal experience, but I wonder if fermentation temp isn't related to this, also? Maybe ferment it a little warmer when you want those clove and banana esters.

I used it for the first time a month ago and have yet to taste my beer, but I didn't note any clove/banana during bottling. That's cool cause I made a Dampfbier (unwittingly) but I'm sure there are better hefe yeasts available. I am sure that many members can give you some options. Good luck!

Back