Question about conditioning time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MannyEdwards

Reaction score
I have an amber OG 1.053. Midwest Supplies recommends 1 week in primary, 2 to 3 weeks in secondary, then bottling. But what if I'm kegging and force carbing? does it need an additional 2 week conditioning period in the keg? Or will the beer be done and ready to carb at Brew Day +21?

I ask because I tried a very light ale after 3 weeks and it was great. The I tried a Saison after 4 weeks, and it wasn't ready yet, but delicious after 7 weeks. Don't know about Ambers, as this is my first one.

I am still learning how this works. I just started kegging and often wonder how long I should secondary. Most of my beers are Big Beers! 8% or higher (Belgians). I would think an amber should taste ok with 3 weeks conditioning. I will transfer my Belgian I have now to secondary (its been 5 weeks now in primary) and let it sit in my basement for 6 months or longer.. then Keg it and wait. I'm not going to force carb.. I will just let it carb at 12 psi until it is ready. Bigger beers take a little longer to carb up it seems.

Leave it in the primary for 2 weeks then keg it, force carb and then serve.... prob could get away with 1 week primary though since the gravity isnt that high and fermentation prob will be done by then.

you can "condition it" while its force carbing. i let it sit for about two weeks while its carbing up, i dont rush the carb process with shaking or anything like that.

secondary is unnecessary in most cases.

Don't follow those directions to a 'T.' Firstly, you don't need a secondary unless you're going to harvest yeast; pretty much any beer can condition on top of the yeast cake just fine.

I would wait until fermentation is done and keg it, though it's up to you if you want to let it sit and condition for a week or so. To be honest, I don't know much about kegging, but I believe you only need a week in the keg.

Ive found most beers I keg are ready to drink as soon as they are cold and carbed. I say go for it

That is great news. I'm going to cold crash it tonight, then gel, then run off the dregs, then carb. I generally use the secondary just to free up my carboy, and I rack into a keg. Then even if I bottle, I just prime in the keg and run it from the tap. So easy.

Unless its a Belgian Strong. Not sure how you expect to get that kind of flavor in just 2 or 3 weeks if you are going to keg it.

Ok..... you can say that about any high gravity beer. Keg can be used as a secondary anyways.

OPs beer isnt a high gravity beer... idk what you point was.

Ok..... you can say that about any high gravity beer. Keg can be used as a secondary anyways.

OPs beer isnt a high gravity beer... idk what you point was.

Just putting it out there... Saison was mentioned.

Back