Question about circulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I finally fired up this electric BIAB. I had a question about heating up the wort.

Basically what I have going on here is there is a sparge arm at the top that I run during the mash circulation at the top. After the mash, I lift the basket and attach that line to the whirlpool arm that's on the bottom.

The question is that while heating up for the boil, should I circulate the wort? I crank my element to 100% to get it hot quick and didn't know if that would scorch the wort without moving the water via circulation.

I have a 5500 watt ULWD ripple element.

I'm brand new to this stuff.

2016-12-03 11.58.36.jpg

It will take much longer if you circulate while trying to reach a boil, and if you have a ULWD element you shouldn't need to circulate.
After the boil take a look at the element; if it has a bunch of burnt on crap you need to circulate going forward, if not then don't worry about it.
I use a ULWD 5500W element and do not get anything built up on it during the boil, rinses clean with water. I brew pale ales with no noticeable burnt affect.

I figured that it might take longer but I would be seriously ticked if I ruined a batch of beer because of scorching.

Make your test batch a stout or porter. You won't notice any extra burning if it does occur.
Inspect your element afterwards, I bet it will stay clean if it is actually ULWD.

Pump the boiling wort to sanitize the pump and lines. So when you want to do a whirlpool everything is good to go.

I did a test batch yesterday of a 1.041 light ipa. The element was not very dirty but needed washed.

Woo Pig you say to run the pump but when do you do it? 15 minutes before the boil end like the immersion chiller?

Make your test batch a stout or porter. You won't notice any extra burning if it does occur.
Inspect your element afterwards, I bet it will stay clean if it is actually ULWD.

I emailed Ryan at Electric Brewing Supply about this. He said that the nature of the wort heating up is that it moves so no scorching will occur.

I did a test batch yesterday of a 1.041 light ipa. The element was not very dirty but needed washed.

Woo Pig you say to run the pump but when do you do it? 15 minutes before the boil end like the immersion chiller?

I would do it for longer. When you first start it it will cool down at first .25-20 minutes.

Back