Question about building dextrine for session ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBT

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a hopefully easy question about a grain bill for a session ale that I am wanting to brew... I am simply wondering whether there is any detriment to adding a lot of carapils to the mash.

My recipe at the moment has about 15% carapils in the overall grain bill, along with 15% wheat to build proteins for a more solid mouthfeel. I have no added crystal in the mash, although I think I would like to add some.

I have read that cara adds no additional sweetness, but is 15% just too much? Also, when used with 15% wheat am I building up a beer that will have issues producing too much foam? Should I reel some of that grain back, and think about using some lactose?

Thanks for any input!

why not post the full grainbill?

mouthfeel comes from many elements. residual sugar is the most obvious, but carbonation level, use of oats, dry hop, astringency from grains/hops, and other factors will all let you help a small beer seem big.

I do think that 15% carapils is more than a boatload, and that along with 15% wheat means that you've got 70% left for base malt. Without seeing the whole recipe, I'm just guessing of course, but I almost never use ANY carapils, so using 15% seems way overboard.

I typically don't use any Carapils OR wheat in my session beers, but I do use a fair amount of crystal malts. However, almost all of my session beers are English, with a lower attenuating yeast, and I mash them 156-158 depending, and usually end up with something like 60% attenuation, with plenty of residual dextrins, body, and malt sweetness to round out the flavor. My Mild, for example, goes from 1.034 to 1.013, and and 1 lb (17%) crystal malt (between 45L and 150L English crystal malts), and about 15% between Biscuit and Pale Chocolate malts. So point being, I mash high and use a fairly high percentage of specialty grains.

I'll have to post the recipe in the morning, I'm at work right now.

I believe I have oats in there as well, for some more protein and mouthfeel. Maybe I should pull back on the cara and wheat, and sub in some crystal...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After a bit more thought and research, I decided to completely re-tool the recipe... As it stands right now I have the following:

72.3% two row
9.6% wheat
7.2% Munich
7.2% cara pils
3.6% c80

I might pull some of the wheat and sub in some oats, and I think if like a touch more crystal in there as well.

OG is 1.046, planned on mashing high (158), hoping for an FG of ~1.012-1.014.

After a bit more thought and research, I decided to completely re-tool the recipe... As it stands right now I have the following:

72.3% two row
9.6% wheat
7.2% Munich
7.2% cara pils
3.6% c80

I might pull some of the wheat and sub in some oats, and I think if like a touch more crystal in there as well.

Looks reasonable to me. Yeast will be an important factor. What strain?

You might try 1968, it should finish a bit higher and is pretty clean when you run it in the low-mid 60s.

True, but the carapils won't add any residual sweetness to the end result...

What is the general rule of thumb about crystal malts? How much is too much?

True, but the carapils won't add any residual sweetness to the end result...

What is the general rule of thumb about crystal malts? How much is too much?

It depends on the beer style. In some cases, 1% crystal malt is too much, but in some cases (like American amber), 15% could be fine.

For most American style beers, I tend to stay at 7% crystal/caramel malts or less.

Latest posts

Back