Question about Brewrs Best "Steep to Convert"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytonlawvol

Reaction score
got an Oatmeal Stout Kit, came with added instructions on how to "Steep to Convert." Now Ive done one Brewers Best English Pale Ale kit, and it involved steeping grains + extract + hops. this Oatmeal Stout has the specialty grains and the Oats, plus a LME and a DME.

The Steep to Convert Instructions seem to indicate more of a mashing technique. Here is the instructions for the kit: Link

Im quite confused. Do I pour all of my grains, the Oats, Dark Chocolate, Caramel, Victory and 2 Row Pale Grains into bags and steep them all together at this very specified temperature? I basically dont see the difference between my last Brewers Best Kit where I simply steeped the grains and this recipe?

Im quite confused. Do I pour all of my grains, the Oats, Dark Chocolate, Caramel, Victory and 2 Row Pale Grains into bags and steep them all together at this very specified temperature? I basically dont see the difference between my last Brewers Best Kit where I simply steeped the grains and this recipe?

Yes, this is what's known as a partial mash. You combine them together and soak them all for about an hour at anywhere between 148-158F (lower temperature = drier beer, although partial mashes mitigate this considerably). The difference is the presence of the 2-row, which has diastatic enzymes that can convert the starches in the other grains into fermentable sugars.

That is a partial mash recipe. Oats are best mashed. Probably the reason that they included some 2-row is to provide the necessary enzymes to convert the starches in the oats. Put all the grains and oats in a bag and follow exactly as the instructions say.

Yeah that looks like a partial mash. The difference being the amount of time you let the grains rest allowing for starch conversion to sugars. You don't accomplish this with a simple steep.

Yes put all the grains in the bag and follow instructions although the temps seems to be reversed to me. I would think 158ish for the steep temp and rinse with 165-170.

Add all the grains at once in the steeping bag.

The difference is that your steep contains 2-row pale malt which will lead to enzyme activity and production of sugar. They're essentially the same thing, except a mash has enzyme activity and a steep doesn't.

How exactly do I rinse once I am done with the extended steeping? Pouring clean water over the bag into a pot and then combining the original wort with the new wort I just created by pouring clean water over the bag?

How exactly do I rinse once I am done with the extended steeping? Pouring clean water over the bag into a pot and then combining the original wort with the new wort I just created by pouring clean water over the bag?

yes

This will work, but you may get better extraction by soaking it for 15 minutes in a gallon or two of fresh water heated to about 170 degrees.

looking at the instructions I provided in the link, it looks as though I would have a total of 2.5 pounds of grains. Therefore, I would need to use 1.25 gallons of water for the initial mashing process in the "steep to convert" instructions. Then I would need to soak the bag in a separate 1.25 gallons of water for 15 minutes, combine, therefore having a total of 2.5 gallons of wort?....then proceeding with extract, hops, topping off to about 5 gallons?

Also the kit came with two bags, one for the oats and one for all the grains? I suppose I could put them all in one bag, probably doesnt matter.

once you heat your "rinse" water to 150 deg (per instructions) or 170 is fine too (per bernerbrau) . . . rest your grain bag in a large kitchen strainer or collander. Rest one side of the strainer on your brew pot, hold the other side and slowly pour the hot water over/through the grain bag. Then add water to bring the total volume up to 2.5 gallons (per instructions.)

Edit. . .and yes, after the boil/hops add sterile water to bring it to 5 gallons in the fermenter.

Second time around you'll feel like an old pro! :)

Home Depot paint strainer bags (2 for $5) work great for mashing Up to 10-12lbs. Absolutely perfect for stove top partial mashing (Brew In A Bag method = BIAB)

Reusable if properly rinsed too!

looking at the instructions I provided in the link, it looks as though I would have a total of 2.5 pounds of grains. Therefore, I would need to use 1.25 gallons of water for the initial mashing process in the "steep to convert" instructions. Then I would need to soak the bag in a separate 1.25 gallons of water for 15 minutes, combine, therefore having a total of 2.5 gallons of wort?....then proceeding with extract, hops, topping off to about 5 gallons?

That's about right. One thing I would add is save 2/3 of your extract for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Also the kit came with two bags, one for the oats and one for all the grains? I suppose I could put them all in one bag, probably doesnt matter.

Yep, oats generally ship in 1-pound bags and the kit makers just leave 'em like that. You will definitely want to combine these.

Second time around you'll feel like an old pro! :)

And after 2 1/2 years and 20-30 batches, you'll realize you have no idea what you're doing!

[And after 2 1/2 years and 20-30 batches, you'll realize you have no idea what you're doing![/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO! . . . well said sir!

I have done two of these kits. The first time I followed the instructions exactly. I found that its not nearly enough water to begin. I contacted them via email about it. They told me to use 2 gallons and 1 quart of water and it went much better. Oh and layer your grains and oats in several layer to keep the oats from clumping up and it will steep loosely.

Like I've said I've done two of these. What's weird is that neither will drop under 1033 sg, and the directions say it should be 1018 or lower. I think it from the malto dextrin but I'm not certain.

Good luck and let me know how u do

I have one of these kits. I ordered four kits from Brewer’s Best. I believe the first two will be successful. They’re sitting in my room now looking quite nice.

I’m saving the only steep to convert kit I have for last... has anyone pulled off such a small temp range (4 degrees F) on an electric stove for 40 minutes? That’s the only part I’m nervous about. I imagine myself getting antsy and popping the temperature up too much which rebounds too high due to the large volume and scorches the grains...

Back