Question about Blichman Boil Coil 120v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrodbrad

Reaction score
Good morning all. I have been thinking of switching to electric and my question is this. I have a 10 gallon pot that is 19 inch diameter. cannot remember the height right now. Would the Blichmann boil coil that is 120v work to bring to a boil. My beers I put into fermenter average around 5.5 gallons so my pre boil somewhere around upper 6 gallons.

I know most people will say is to get the 240 volt Blichmann Coil but unfortunately I rent and cannot put in a 240 outlet so I would have to use the 120v one which is okay for me.

I was thinking of getting the coil and the inkbird controller they have and pump to turn my system into an all in one. Any suggestions more than welcome

There are plenty of 5 gallon electric systems out there that can boil without issue at 110/120v. I would imagine you would be okay. Not a crazy vigorous boil, but if there's movement in the liquid then it's boiling.

the boilcoil 10 will do the trick. you are looking at from 140 degrees (out of the mash) to boil with the 2250 watt boilcoil10 120v to take approx 32 minutes.

here's the nice thing. it does not need a controller. just leave it on. 2250 will get a nice good boil going without you having to cover your beer but it can stay on.

here is the downside. it needs a 20amp circuit, you probably will trip a 15 amp breaker. Being in an apartment, you may not have a 20 amp circuit. run your pump, etc from another outlet/circuit if you can.

There are better, more inexpensive ways of doing it, but the boil coil is a good unit. you will also need an adapter or just a new plug end to plug it into a standard outlet.

Here's an idea, probably somebody can tell me why it wouldn't work. Feed the BoilCoil from two 15amp outlets (seperate circuits). Seems to me the current would naturally divide between the two paths. The household wiring would still be protected, and if one breaker trips, the load on the other would double, tripping it as well. This is probably wrong and /or dangerous, but I can't see the flaw.

I've seen something similar on 3phase 4160v pumps. Two 3-conductor cables, with two of the six conductors for each phase. To avoid custom-made cables, IIRC. A single three phase circuit breaker, I believe.

Thanks guys for the info. Luckily I rent a house and not an apartment so my circuit breaker box has 20 amp where I would want to set up.
Yeah I have read info on grainfather and others but don't want to spend that much money and was wondering if I could do cheaper.
Thanks again for some info.

Back