Question About Backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutLover

Reaction score
I made a batch of Welchs grape juice wine via Yooper's recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/welchs-grape-juice-wine-21093/

I have apx 6 gallons that are ready to be bottled that I would like to backsweeten with three different flavors. I have several 5 and 6 gallon carboys, and 2 1 gallon jugs. Can I rack into 3 separate carboys and add the juices to them or is that not the way to go? It's my first time if you can't tell. :)

As long as you plan on bottling soon, I don't see an issue, if you leave the wine in the carboys with more than an inch of head space, it can spoil fast.
Make sure that you stabilize the wine with K-Meta and Sorbate prior to back sweetening or you will create bottle bombs.

As long as you plan on bottling soon, I don't see an issue, if you leave the wine in the carboys with more than an inch of head space, it can spoil fast.
Make sure that you stabilize the wine with K-Meta and Sorbate prior to back sweetening or you will create bottle bombs.

Awesome, that's the answer I was hoping for. Thanks.

Please correct me if I am wrong. If you want to backsweeten cider after it is bottled,and add sugar, and if there is any yeast left, it could possibly go boom? But I have read somewhere that if you use artificial sweetner, like Sweet and low, or others it will not pop the top, and yet make it sweeter?

Please correct me if I am wrong. If you want to backsweeten cider after it is bottled,and add sugar, and if there is any yeast left, it could possibly go boom? But I have read somewhere that if you use artificial sweetner, like Sweet and low, or others it will not pop the top, and yet make it sweeter?

mtnman68

Latest posts

Back