Question about adding Pumpkin Pie spice at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVESKI

Reaction score
I've done lots of searches and come up with differing opinions on adding pumpkin pie spice at bottling. Most people say to make a "spiced tea" in boiling water and then add the water a little at a time to the bottling bucket to achieve the desired taste. I plan on going this route, but my question is how should I make the tea? I don't really want the actual spices in my bottles, can I dip the spices in a coffee filter into the boiling water? Or do you guys just throw the spices in and then let the bottling bucket sit for a while so the spices drop down?

Any chance you can wait a little longer? I added 1 1/2 tsp of spice about 7-10 days into primary, and let sit a week. Then when I racked over, didn't have to worry about the spice at all.

I let it sit in the primary for about a week and it's been in the secondary for almost 3 weeks. I'm fine with adding it directly to the secondary and waiting another week or so, but it will be more difficult to do it that way if I don't know exactly how much I want to add. It's not as easy to add a little, sample a little, then add more.

Very true.

Side note, one week was probably a little quick on your primary. Did you make sure you made to FG?

Yes, I did. I'd have to check my notes but I think it was about 10 days or so.

Back