Question about 30 psi for 2 days....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
I'm trying to rush it to be ready for a party Sunday. I set it to 30psi last night.

If tonight, I dial the pressure down to 10psi for an hour (i just want to taste it and see how it came out) would that hurt anything? After that i would bump it back up to 30psi till the next night and set at 12.

I'm still learning.

Chill the keg to serving temp, connect 30 psi gas, lay the keg on its side, rock back and forth with foot for 2.5 minutes. Boom...done.

No issues with dialing it down to 10 psi for a taste but I would also purge the keg of all pressure and then dial it down so you dont push beer back up the gas line.

yeah but you can easily overcarb if you leave it at that pressure. it also stirs up all the sediment in the keg. Id crank it to like 35, rock back and forth until you stop hearing CO2 flowing into the keg, set to maybe 15 overnight and check it the next day. If its somehwat carbed go down to 10-12, if not, leave at 15 for a while longer

be sure the keg is purged several times with CO2 before rocking or else you be oxygenating the crap out of it

I tried it for the first time last night. In a big Sankey, and in a 3G corny with the third runnings lawn milker braggot. My kegerator only gets down to 50 degrees or so, I used 35 psi. The big one is a bitter, so it is ok if it is a little under-carbed for me.

Pretty much, however be aware it is easy to over carbonate this way.
I drop the temp to near freezing, pressure up, and shake the crap out of it. Repeat until happy, once I am happy I release the excess pressure and set to serving pressure.
No doubt that rolling for a few minutes will achieve similar results.

If the keg has been below 40F this whole time, your original plan should work great. Leaving it at 10 PSI for an hour won't be any different than leaving it there for 2 minutes, just to serve your test. If your test seems properly carbed, just leave it at 10 PSI. Otherwise, bump it back up to 30 and check it every 4-5 hours. If you leave it at 30 until Sunday, it will likely be over carbed. I would target letting it sit at 10 for at least a day before service, to let the carbonation stabilize.

I've done the shaking thing, and while a bit risky towards overcarbonating, it does "work". I have a hard time recommending it though, because if you're not very careful you will get beer in your gas line and possibly your regulator, and it's easy to overcarb.

One more note, you didn't ask about this but, be aware that if this is a brew that you're hoping will serve clear and you didn't clarify with gelatin BEFORE kegging it, it's pretty likely that transporting the keg is going to kick up the sediment in the keg and the beer won't serve as clear as you were expecting. When I have to move kegs like this for anything I want to serve clear, I clarify with gelatin in keg1 and, a day before the transport, I do a closed keg transfer to keg2. If that's something you're interested in, I can tell you my process.

Is it really that freaking simple?

No.

Oh, sure, it'll carb but it could be overcarbed. It will be full of suspended sediment, cloudy, and maybe have a "bite" from the burst carbing.

What's the temperature of the keg currently? If it's in the fridge at 30 psi, it's probably already overcarbed.

At 40 degrees, 36 hours at 30 psi is plenty. Then purge and reset to 10-12 psi and it should be perfect in 3-4 days. Don't shake, turn the pressure up and down, etc, as that only makes a beer that is foamy and full of sediment. If you let the keg sit, and don't move it a bit, the sediment will fall to the bottom. Pour off about three ounces of sludge, and then the rest should be all set. Keeping it cold is the key to getting the sediment to fall out, as well as carbing up.

Is it really that freaking simple?

Yes.

I've been carbing this way for years. Not one overcarbed keg. Just be sure when you set it back up to bring it back down to serving pressure and let it sit for a half hour or so to let the sediment fall to be discarded with your first pull.

IMO it depends how willing you are to risk overcarbonation. Some guys have it perfectly dialed in, but for every one of those I seem to see at least as many posts about folks trying it as described and having foamy beer (interesting that the video states there would be a better pour with a longer line but doesn't actually show it ;) ). Since you've already had it on the 30 psi and have another couple days I honestly would take Yooper's advice and not do any shaking at this point - just go with your plan and turn it down tonight or early AM.

Wow.

Imma jus put this out there. I think he had a few before this video and then drank at least a beer's worth of flat beer during the video.

Anyways. I don't think the beer is really carbonated. Having shook kegs before, I've never been happy with the result. However, 30 PSI for 36 hours does the trick for me.

The beer in the video does not seem to have a steam of CO2 bubbles rising. Even when I successfully do a fast carb it takes a couple of days after setting on serving pressure to really get right.

Back