Queen Elizabeth's Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett_Bellmore

Me and my better half.
Reaction score
Has anybody tried making "Queen Elizabeth's Mead"?

I just bottled my latest batch of key lime/ginger, and was thinking a methaglyn might be fun for my next batch. I've very fond of both rosemary and bay laurel, (Both grow in my garden!) and a quick search turned up a recipe at this site: https://alehorn.com/blogs/blog/queen-elizabeth-s-mead-recipe using rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, and rose hips, that sounds quite nice.

Since the herbs don't go in until the secondary, I'm just going to get it started in the next couple of days, then consider my options. But I've been wanting to do a bay laurel mead for some time; The fresh leaves have a heavenly odor!

Well, I started a 2.5 gallon batch yesterday. Mind, it's just honey, water, yeast, and nutrient for now, so I might split it up when it comes time to flavor it.

I noticed that, despite extensive cleaning, my fast ferment fermenter still smells like ginger and lime. Plastic must have absorbed the smell, I'm a little disappointed in that regard. Might end up going back to glass.

Well, I started a 2.5 gallon batch yesterday. Mind, it's just honey, water, yeast, and nutrient for now, so I might split it up when it comes time to flavor it.

I noticed that, despite extensive cleaning, my fast ferment fermenter still smells like ginger and lime. Plastic must have absorbed the smell, I'm a little disappointed in that regard. Might end up going back to glass.

Thanks for that. I'll be sure to keep my Better Bottle for non-flavored stuff.

Latest posts

Back