qt per pound for Robobrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajae

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this question goes here...any does anyone have a good Qts per pound of grain for the Robobrew? I know some people say just to use the Grainfather profile however the dead space is a less on the Robobrew and I just want to try to get the best efficiency as possible. I've seen very thick mashes going on with the GF and i'm worried about there not being enough water to flowing though in order to not get a stuck sparge.

It is going to depend on your grain bill I just recently did a Live brew session on YouTube with a robobrew and we used 2 quarts per pound and pretty much filled the robobrew all the way to the top with 13.5 lb of grain and 6.75 gallons of water, so you could get away with less than 2 quarts per pound I would start with just over 1.5 maybe 1.75. One other thing to keep in mind most of the robobrew units do not have correct gradation marks on the side so you want to measure yours with a 1 gallon pitcher and make sure that it is correct. From what I understand you're always going to have some run over into the center pipe and I think that aids in recirculation across the elements on the bottom to maintain the temperature.

Hope that helps let me know how it goes.

Cheers
Brian

I think you usually (AFAICT with e.g. BeerSmith) don't count the dead space in the qt/lb mash thickness (it's the thickness in the space with the grain that matters as far as hydration and extraction of the starches from the grain), so I think you could take the Grainfather profile in something like BeerSmith and adjust the dead space to match the RoboBrew and get the right total strike volume at the same qt/lb setting.

It is going to depend on your grain bill I just recently did a Live brew session on YouTube with a robobrew and we used 2 quarts per pound and pretty much filled the robobrew all the way to the top with 13.5 lb of grain and 6.75 gallons of water, so you could get away with less than 2 quarts per pound I would start with just over 1.5 maybe 1.75. One other thing to keep in mind most of the robobrew units do not have correct gradation marks on the side so you want to measure yours with a 1 gallon pitcher and make sure that it is correct. From what I understand you're always going to have some run over into the center pipe and I think that aids in recirculation across the elements on the bottom to maintain the temperature.

Hope that helps let me know how it goes.

Cheers
Brian

Yes i know i witnessed that tragedy that was 2qts per pound!!! hahahaha That's what i posted the question here, I think i going to start conservatively and work my way up. When are you thinking about posting the Beersmith profile for it?

Yes i know i witnessed that tragedy that was 2qts per pound!!! hahahaha That's what i posted the question here, I think i going to start conservatively and work my way up. When are you thinking about posting the Beersmith profile for it?

Haha! I just need to get a little bit of time to tune it up. I hope to get said time this weekend. I'll post it here when I get it done. Cheers! Glad you got to witness the tragedy!! Live brewing I love it! Anything can and will happen!

Brian

sure thing thanks! I'm brewing with it this weekend for the first time, I'll post my findings,

Ok so i went with 1.5qts per pound and it went great!! it was a 16# grain bill, looked a little dry at first but after a 10 mins of reticulation was nice. 93%

IMG_7570.PNG.jpg

Back