Put something in my SS braid or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
So I read on here, somewhere, that when building my mash tun to put a spring in my stainless steel braid to keep it from collapsing. This back-fired on me. I got a stuck sparge and found that the spring had rusted. Now I'm reading its not required. So should I have something in there to keep the braid from collapsing, or just let it ride, or get a new setup? I don't want to deal with another stuck sparge. I almost threw in the towel after all the trouble....

before i made the 5 dollar false bottom (search forums) I used the SS braid without anything in it for MANY brews. I never had an issue with it collapsing for stuck sparges.

So I would say, NAH to something inside it. More trouble than its worth in my opinion.

My first batch with a SS braid I did not have anything in it and I beat the stuffing out of it crunching it in many places. So I took a bunch of 12 gage copper wire and wound it around a dowel and set that inside the braid. Since I have a copper IC and have boiled in copper pots I figure a hour or so for the copper to be in the mash is no big deal.

i have also used the copper wire trick. Coiled it around a pencil and slid it on in. My braid is solid as a rock, but before the copper coil, i didn't have any problems either. I figure as long as you're not monkey fisting your dough in your braid will be fine.

I'm just curious if it helps anyone. For my first allgrain, had no problems sparging without the spring. Then I added it, and got a stuck sparge. I think I'll just go without anything and see how it goes.

I wouldn't worry too much about adding something to the braid unless it became a problem for you personally.

My braid was fine without any extras for about a year and a half. Then I started getting stuck sparges. I found a really thick, high temp tubing at my lhbs, cut slots into it, and inserted it into the braid. Haven't had a problem since.

Back