Push-in plastic top caps with wax?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityspiral

Reaction score
I have some mead that I am going to be bottling soon. My question is this - I plan on waxing the bottles (they are going to be gifts). Since the wax will provide a good seal, can I use the push-in caps pictured below for adequate sealing? I mainly ask because I am borrowing a friend's corker and he has the hand-held push-in kind that I'm hoping I can get around using.
image_1484.jpg

Plain push in tasting corks... If they fit snugly, are kept upright, and will be drunk soon, you should be fine. If you plan on storing them on their sides and aging over a year, then no.
Adding the wax may be a tigher seal, but I have not waxed any of my wines so I can't say for sure. Wax may be better then foil top, again, I have not used them either!
But..... I have a bottle of balsamic viniger that is sealed with those push in corks and held on with a foil wrapper. It has been kept on its side and does not leak.... It has only been that way a month and I plan on drinking it soon:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Not exactly sure what a hand held push in corker is but if it is the kind that has a plastic plunger then the easiest way to cork is to hit the head of the rod with a rubber mallet. Seriously. I used one of those for years as I typically cork 5 bottles at a time (make one gallon batches)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtyy3F2zHtc[/ame]

Back