Purging keg to replace with CO2...without a second keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
I usually purge a keg that is filled with StarSan by pushing the StarSan out from keg 1 into keg 2, with CO2 supply. I don't have a spare keg available and want to fill the StarSan keg with CO2.
Noob question - can I accomplish this by simply running the StarSan down the drain? The only thing different from my usual process would be that the keg's jumper hose would not connect to a second keg. The answer seems obvious but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Hmmm. I'm due for a line cleaning... I usually run <1 gallon of Starsan through after Oxi recirc and a hot water flush. And that's all driven by a utility pump. But that is a pretty good idea you provided, thank you!

FWIW, the starSan has been used exclusively for purging kegs. It's been keg-kept; only used for purging kegs with. But it's over 2 years old and I'm about ready to generate a new stock. I think it's still OK to use for a line flush, do you agree?

Hook fermentation bucket/carboy/whatnot instead of through airlock, direct to LIQUID side of keg, hook GAS side of keg to airlock (tube to jar of starsan in my case). Fermentation will purge keg with 100% pure CO2.

I've never used StarSan solution that old. You can tell if it's still good by taking a PH reading. It's good if it comes up under 3.5.

Yup, already part of my process. :)
She was a high 2 a few weeks ago so, close enough for me to consider on its way out.

Even when I sanitize 2 kegs, I use my serving line to transfer it from the first to the second keg just to sanitize that tubing. That is a good way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Also, Star San cost 14 cents per gallon of mixed solution ($22 for 32 oz and I mix 0.2 oz per gallon). I am a cheapskate but I don't consider Star San and sanitation the place to save a few cents and then wonder if the stuff is still working at full capacity.

Even when I sanitize 2 kegs, I use my serving line to transfer it from the first to the second keg just to sanitize that tubing. That is a good way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Solidifying the tip from earlier, thank you!

Also, Star San cost 14 cents per gallon of mixed solution ($22 for 32 oz and I mix 0.2 oz per gallon). I am a cheapskate but I don't consider Star San and sanitation the place to save a few cents and then wonder if the stuff is still working at full capacity.

I made peace with considering StarSan less than a highly valuable, expensive product that should be reused as much as possible. Thus, it's time to prepare a fresh stock of it (for keg storage, once I have a kicked keg available).

I like the tip but I have to ask - are you first cleaning and flushing your lines before running the StarSan through? Great idea to do 2 jobs at once but I would have to (recirc) clean and (water) flush the lines before running StarSan through.

My serving line is just a 10 ft hose with a hand picnic tap on the end. I usually soak it in a PBW solution and rinse it thoroughly before I sanitize it. Then I hang it up when not in use to drip dry.

One useful trick I found was to use a spare set of Ball Lock Keg Posts and a couple of these Plug adapters so I can snap them onto the black and grey ball locks to keep them open for soaking and rinsing (without having to remove the ball locks every time). I can run faucet or hose water through the line then for cleaning and rinsing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714D1JTT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OI7UG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My serving line is just a 10 ft hose with a hand picnic tap on the end. I usually soak it in a PBW solution and rinse it thoroughly before I sanitize it. Then I hang it up when not in use to drip dry.

Perfect, that clarifies it, thanks!

One useful trick I found was to use a spare set of Ball Lock Keg Posts and a couple of these Plug adapters so I can snap them onto the black and grey ball locks to keep them open for soaking and rinsing (without having to remove the ball locks every time).

Good move! I tend to fully disassemble by QDs (ball locks) for cleaning. Yes, runs the risk of losing those tiny parts but at least I have peace of mind that the entire assembly gets cleaned out.
But now you've inspired me to find another use for this part, which has already helped me with several other applications!

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ball_lock_jumperpost.htm
Thanks @Bobby_M !

Back