purgin secondary/bottles with co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhound28

Reaction score
Hello
Do you think purging secondary/bottles with co2 will protect the beer and give it a longer shelflife? I know the when you add your beer to the secondary/ or bottling you risk oxidation..So this should fix that problem..Is this a popular practice? what do yall think?

I don't know anyone that does this, but it won't hurt anything. Typically when you're racking to secondary, some of the CO2 will come out of solution and create a "blanket" on top of the beer anyway. Regarding bottles, well, isn't bottling already enough work?

I don't know anyone that does this, but it won't hurt anything. Typically when you're racking to secondary, some of the CO2 will come out of solution and create a "blanket" on top of the beer anyway. Regarding bottles, well, isn't bottling already enough work?
Yeah bottling is already a pain in the arse..but i am getting into brewing big belgians and trappist style beers that benefit from longer storage..So i figure a little extra care at bottling can give me peace of mind that they wont get oxidized over the longer cellaring time..cheers

Back