Pure pitch white labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonGavlar

Reaction score
hey guys,

Making my first starter today for my brew on the weekend. My yeast arrived today and its in a packaging I havn’t seen in videos before on how to make staters. Usually its in a small vial but this stuff looks bigger and is in a plastic wrap. Its called pure pitch which im sure most of you have heard of or used, however, This is my first time dealing with liquid yeast.
On the back of the pack it claims for beer under .048 no starter is required. I have all the stuff to make a starter including a stir plate and im more than happy to make a starter, however, as my OG is predicted to be .048 as well I don’t want to over pitch, if thats even a thing. Is the current beersmith/ mrmalty calcs already set up for these pure pitch packs? I was planning on making a starter of 1L with 100g of DME as this was on the middle of what mrmalty suggested. Beersmith actually suggested a smaller starter but i went with mrmalty.
Just want to make sure im not going to be making too many yeasts by using a starter with this kind of pack.

Thanks

Its just the new packaging from White Labs. It's always a good idea to make a starter especially if you're already geared up for it. The yeast is probably 1-3 weeks old so you won't have all %100 viable yeast in the pack. Ive never really come across anyone having an issue related to overpitching.

I think you have to really go nuts to over pitch. Some styles benefit from underpitching (saison, wheat beer) where a little stress can bring out desirable esters. But otherwise, it's usually a good idea to make a starter if you have the means to do it, if anything to at least check the viability of the yeast.

Great, thanks guys.
Went ahead andade the starter as intended.

Latest posts

Back