Purchasing hops online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temptnmonkey

Reaction score
When buying hops from some of the online retailers (like farmhouse brewing for instance), they mention 2010 (I assume crop year).

Is it a bad idea to purchase hop pellets of this age? Or does it not matter?

I know the alpha acids degrade over time, but it does say "current alpha acids".

I just want to make sure I'm still getting my money's worth ordering hops from 2010, since I don't have much experience yet! Thanks everyone!

Pellet hops store well. Farmhouse brewing is very reputable and wouldn't sell sub par supplies. I however, would not order any more than I plan to use in the next couple of months as the fresh pack will
be coming out soon.

...the fresh pack will
be coming out soon.

And I bet the very popular hops for craft beer: Amarillo and Citra etc. are going to be whisked away and almost immediately out of stock by the zillions of new micro/nano breweries again.

My latest strategy is to be formulating great brews using the more common and more available hops like Cascade and Willamette etc. since I bet I won't be able to get those later or maybe even at all this year.

as long as their stored in vacuum sealed bags or air tight containers they'll last a while, i cracked a 3 year old mason jar full of willamette and there was no difference.

Back