Pur water filters.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc5066

Reaction score
If I use a pur water filter to filter my water to add after boiling my wort, should I still pre boil it or will the filter take care of any nasties that could effect my beer?

Strictly my opinion and experience but if you can drink your water with no issues you can too off with it without boiling it first:)

In my area, they use chlorine and/or chloramine, which filters will not grab. Causes acetaldehyde taste in the beer if it's not boiled. I would boil, but if you can't do that, make sure you use a campden tablet.

Option 2 is use distilled water for your top-up.

I have we'll water. Goes through softener

I've been using distilled. Trying to save a couple bucks and a trip to the store if possible.

I have we'll water. Goes through softener

I've been using distilled. Trying to save a couple bucks and a trip to the store if possible.

I'm a big backwoods camper and use the pur filter frequently. It will remove everything down to just above virus size. So, it will remove any stray bugs you might be worried about.
But, I'm also on a well, and have used straight from the tap every time to top off when needed. You have had your well water checked ,right? The standard water tests check for bacterial contamination. No bacteria = no worries mate. I'd be more worried about what ions the softener is adding- usually too much sodium. Ward Labs will be your friend. Send them a sample. In fact send them two- one before the softener and one after. You might find out that a combination of the pre and post waters will be your best brewing water.

JimRausch said:
I'm a big backwoods camper and use the pur filter frequently. It will remove everything down to just above virus size. So, it will remove any stray bugs you might be worried about.
But, I'm also on a well, and have used straight from the tap every time to top off when needed. You have had your well water checked ,right? The standard water tests check for bacterial contamination. No bacteria = no worries mate. I'd be more worried about what ions the softener is adding- usually too much sodium. Ward Labs will be your friend. Send them a sample. In fact send them two- one before the softener and one after. You might find out that a combination of the pre and post waters will be your best brewing water.

^^this^* since you are on a well

I have successfully added spring (not distilled, just drinking) water from store bought 1 gallon bottles as top up water with no ill effects. This was done in conjunction with the chilling process in a beer class that I was teaching. All the batches turned out well with no indication of infection.

However, since I'm not a biologist, virologist, organic chemist, or back woods camper, I do not know if the spring water producers do more (or less) to the water than the consumer type water filters. I would like to see data before I recommended using water straight from a filter.

Back