Pumps & Sparge Arms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the majority of people build the sparge arm. I tried one of those whirly things but on a 5 gallon batch the flow rate was to slow to make it spin. I have since made a PVC manifold that sits above the grain bed with a few holes drilled in it. You want enough holes to get good distribution, but not to many or all the wort will drain from the lowest point.

Linc

Sparge arms arms are really easy to build, and doing it yourself means you will something specialized just for your system.

I mash in a converted keg, and use a copper ring as both my recirculation and sparge arm. Drill some holes, connect the tubing, and you're good to go.

The simplest 'sparge arm' I've seen is the Sabco method. They use silicone tubing, long enough to curl around the circumference of the tun, then the point down into the grain bed. You would think introducing the sparge water this way would cause channeling, but they cite a lot of research and trials that give no indication of channeling or inefficiency. Sometimes simple is good I spoze. Here is a picture of the Sabco method, when the tun is full the tubing mostly floats and the tip will naturally go below the wort level just a bit.

34809.jpg

Here's the detail on mine if your interested: Onebeer.net :: Homebrew :: Recirculation Arm

recirc.jpg

Sparge arm:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/hey-everybody-look-my-new-sparge-arm-79824/

Sparge Arm

CODE Quanitity Item Cost/unit Total Provider Item Number Webpage
S01 1 Loc-Line Hose Kit for 1/2" system $8.85 $8.85 Modular Hose 50813 Loc-Line 50813 Sample Kit
S02 1 Loc-Line 1/2" In-Line Valve, pack of 2 $12.05 $12.05 Modular Hose 32094 Loc-Line 32094 In-Line Valve
S03 1 Loc-Line Circle Flow Nozzle Kit for 1/2" system $19.75 $19.75 Modular Hose 51837 Loc-Line 51837 Circle Flow Nozzle
SUB-TOTAL $40.65

Pumps:
Go with the March 809. If you are a stainless junky, go to B3 for the stainless head.

Pumps:
Go with the March 809. If you are a stainless junky, go to B3 for the stainless head.

Where do ya'll suggest getting it if I'm NOT a stainless junky?

I think w/ sparging I'm just gonna do the silicone tubing for now and build my own later -- both ones that you guys posted look great- thanks!

Where do ya'll suggest getting it if I'm NOT a stainless junky?

I think w/ sparging I'm just gonna do the silicone tubing for now and build my own later -- both ones that you guys posted look great- thanks!

The March 809 has a polysulphone head. What he meant was that you could go to B3 and buy the SS head if the original plastic one didn't suit you.

With the silicon tubing, are you cutting holes in it your what? I don't entirely understand what you are trying to say.

The silicon tubing is going to float so it will always be on top and the low flow rate of a sparge must cause a slight amount of circulation.

This is what I'm assuming and I may just try this as well. Much easier to clean the 1 piece of hose.

Linc

I tried one of those whirly things but on a 5 gallon batch the flow rate was to slow to make it spin.

I just bought a stainless one last week but haven't used it. This will be interesting then. I hope that does not happen to me and I get all mad and chuck it into a wall.;)

The silicon tubing is going to float so it will always be on top and the low flow rate of a sparge must cause a slight amount of circulation.

This is what I'm assuming and I may just try this as well. Much easier to clean the 1 piece of hose.

Linc

That's the theory. I could never get it to work, and had channeling down the outside of my mash bed. I then drilled a hole in my lid (dead center), with a camlock fitting on the outside. On the inside is a barb fitting. Then I take a small piece of tubing and a siphon Sprayer and use that for large mash's, or a longer piece of tubing with the same siphon sprayer for 5 gal batches or smaller grain bills. Few bucks in the hardware, but the siphon sprayer was a 1.50 at Austin when I bought them. Set your flow rate out of the pump to dispense over the grain bed. Works like a charm.

This setup also acts as a CIP system when I'm all done and cleaning my MLT and BK.

Get two pumps! You'll be glad you did. I have a March 809 and a Chugger pump. I am very happy with both and haven't noticed a difference in output. The price of the Chugger was considerably less last time I checked.

For the sparge arm, IMO don't bother. Just keep the sparge water at least an inch above the grain and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back