Pumpkin stout recipe review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wahmbush

Reaction score
Brewing a Pumpkin Mocha Latte

Fermentables

Dry Malt Extract - Light5.0 lb
Pumpkin, cooked6.62 lb
Chocolate (US)1.0 lb
Roasted Barley (US)1.0 lb
Caramel/Crystal 120L (US)1.0 lb
Aromatic Malt (US)0.5 lb
Lactose (Milk Sugar)1.0 lb
Brown Sugar1.0 lb
Flaked Oats1.0 lb

Hops
Warrior (US)0.5 oz60 min

Yeasts
Safale S-04Fermentis S-04

Extras

Coffee (Brewed)24.0 floz 5.0 days Secondary
Cinnamon (Ground)1.0 tbs10.0 min*Boil
Star Anise2.0 each10.0 min*Boil
Nutmeg (Ground)1.0 tbs10.0 min*Boil

Any input is appreciated.
Thank

I think you should cut your roasted barley and chocolate in half (at least). 2 lbs is a lot, trust me. 1 lb of that stuff will get you a black beer and even that much would overdue it for me. Not including pumpkin, you'll want only like 20% of your grain bill by weight in specialty malts. I can;t say for sure, but with those amounts of crystal, chocolate, and roasted barley, you are going to end up with an acrid, undrinkable beer.

For reference, check out this imperial stout Ive done to get an idea on the percentages. The pumpkin you can just tack on since it doesnt have much sugars. Be prepared for additional water loss from the pumpkin though. Also, I used canned pumpkin at the advice of some pro brewers. Much easier to work with.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/flapjack-breakfast-stout-chocolate-coffee-oatmeal-maple-imperial-stout-496504/

To add to the water loss to the pumpkin, get at LEAST 1# of rice hulls in there not to get a stuck run-off!

Back