Pumpkin something

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad yours is doing well. I racked to keg last night after cold crashing. I lost a good gallon or so with trub. OG was 1.070 and FG is 1.010. About 8% abv. Tasted pretty good. I added a little more vanilla and pumpkin spice when racking. Put on gas and in kegerator. Will let it sit for at a least week before trying it. Maybe longer. Wii report later

Pumpkin on gas

image-3732137985.jpg

I'm thinking of making a pumpkin ale, can someone explain why you cook the pumpkin as apposed to just putting it in straight from the can?

Just bottled my Chocolate Pumpkin Porter. Tastes like a bar of chocolate and pumpkin pie consummated and had a delicious alcoholic child out of wedlock.

I just used 1oz of pumpkin pie spice in mine and it has a very distinct pumpkin flavor. I definitely don't recommend using any more than that.

I'll report back in a couple weeks when I crack one open.

Thanks GuyBob. I thought it had to do with sanitation , which shouldn't be a problem with canned pumpkin

Not to mention you will be putting it in 220 degree water. Ha! I baked mine with brown sugar, maple syrup and some other stuff.

tcchris said:
I'm thinking of making a pumpkin ale, can someone explain why you cook the pumpkin as apposed to just putting it in straight from the can?

Baking the pumpkin filling crystalizes the sugars which will bring out more of the sweetness/pumpkin flavor.

bboyeruga said:
Just bottled my Chocolate Pumpkin Porter. Tastes like a bar of chocolate and pumpkin pie consummated and had a delicious alcoholic child out of wedlock.

I just used 1oz of pumpkin pie spice in mine and it has a very distinct pumpkin flavor. I definitely don't recommend using any more than that.

I'll report back in a couple weeks when I crack one open.

This sounds amazing. How did you brew this?

tcchris said:
Thanks GuyBob. I thought it had to do with sanitation , which shouldn't be a problem with canned pumpkin

By the way, you could definitely put it in the boil straight from the can if you wanted to. I made a 'Halloween' beer that I made up; added 3/4 of a can of pumpkin pie filling to it (un-baked)...came out great with just a small hint of pumpkin in the background.

I've made pumpkin ale with a Midwest kit, turned out excellently. I add 40oz (+) of pumpkin puree and a ton of extra spices.

Week in the keg and gave it a shot. 8% abv. Slight pumpkin, taste slight maple syrup, gram cracker. Added a little more pumpkin spice to keg. Pretty smooth for high abv. Will deff add more to boil next time. Didn't want to add too much. Only added 2 tbsp to boil at flame out. Added 60 oz of pumpkin as well. Very tasty tho. Thanks for the help and feed back. Here's a pic

image-2807891841.jpg

My pumpkin ale is gone. Came out fantastic. Gave some to a few pumpkin ale lovers, and every one of them said they preferred it over the ones they've bought. My aunt even did a blind test w 3 of her friends; mine and pumking, they all picked mine. Pretty proud !

That's awesome! Mine came out ok. I put a lot of different stuff in it. Was yours extract and what was the ingredients? I am curious. I have some family coming into town for thanksgiving and wanted to have a good overall festive beer. Any ideas?

Back