Pumpkin Porter Brew Day - Photos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman13

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Check out my album on Google+ of my pumpkin porter brew day today. I shared it publicly so it should be visible to everyone. This was my first pumpkin brew. Overall it was a very successful brew day - hit 75% efficiency using the hybrid fly sparge technique (I used to get about 65-68).

https://plus.google.com/photos/101130674702331955029/albums/6056463747630307185

If anyone is interested, here is the recipe. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

GRAIN:
11lb golden promise
.5lb crystal 90
.75lb American Chocolate Malt 350L
.25 American roasted barley
.5 flaked barley
.75lb rice hulls

HOPS:
1oz hallertau FWH
1oz styrian golding 5'

YEAST:
wlp013 london ale - 1.1 liter starter on a stir plate.

ADJUNCTS:
2 cans (30oz) libby pumpkin puree ( no spices added ) Baked at 350F for 45 minutes, then added to strike water before doughing in.
1.5 Tbs pumpkin pie spice 5'

Mash at 153F for 60 minutes.

Whirlfloc, oxygen using diffusion stone.

Pitched yeast at 70F. Fermenting around 66-67 degrees.

Results to be posted after fermentation completes!

I loved that you included a photo of your lunch with your brew day photos - I do that all the time! Its an integral part of the day!

Good luck on the pumpkin beer, have never made one. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Thanks Pappers!

This thing started aggressively fermenting very quickly. I was having blow outs after pitching +24 hours. We're at day 4 right now and it has slowed down to a bubble every 2-3 seconds now. She's hanging out at 66F, I'll check gravity in a few days. I'll post photos once I do some hydrometer tests and keg the beer. I'm tentatively planning to leave it in primary for a month. I think a beer this complex will need some time.

awesome! my first pumpkin beer a few years back was a pumpkin porter. Great fall beer!

I know you mention no spices (I assume you mean when you were baking the pumpkin) but I see in the pic you have spices. How much pumpkin spice did you end up adding?

EDIT: Nevermind, I clicked the picture and see you captioned it.

1.5 Tbs of pumpkin pie spice added with 5 minutes remaining in the boil, in case anyone didn't see that caption.

Back