Pumpkin Pie, just mashed in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaha_rva

Reaction score
It's a beautiful, cool morning in the District of Columbia and I'm dreaming of fall. Riddle me this, bat men/women: Anyone ever just mash in a couple of pumpkin pies, graham cracker crust and all? It has the potential to be delicious. It also might end the debate about how much spice is enough spice.

Anyone think this is a bad idea? If so, please prevent this catastrophe before it is attempted this weekend.

Cheers!

I'm very interested in how this would turn out. I'd use lots of rice hulls.

There's a brewery up here that does occasional beers using actual cereal (i.e. Golden Grahams) but they basically dry-hop with it, adding it in during secondary. I've heard of plenty of people mashing pumpkin along with the grains, but never the entire pie...

A nanobrewery around here tossed an entire birthday cake into the mash for a beer for their anniversary party. Never got a chance to try it but reports from the field indicated it was still recognizable as beer. So I think it's doable, no reason you can't, but I'll let you try it first. ;)

It's a beautiful, cool morning in the District of Columbia and I'm dreaming of fall. Riddle me this, bat men/women: Anyone ever just mash in a couple of pumpkin pies, graham cracker crust and all? It has the potential to be delicious. It also might end the debate about how much spice is enough spice.

Anyone think this is a bad idea? If so, please prevent this catastrophe before it is attempted this weekend.

Cheers!

While I love unconventional ideas, I'd be worried about the fat content from eggs/milk. You run a real risk of having a very weird texture. You will definitely destroy any chance of having a head on this beer.

Instead of this, I would deconstruct the pie recipe and use that instead. Roast canned pumpkin and add to mash, use spices/vanilla at end of boil. In fact, my friend made a pumpkin ale where he mashed a box of graham crackers. Turned out pretty good, but hope you have someone to play cards with during the lauter. Just keep out the ingredients that you wouldn't want in a beer,

Good luck!

Beat me to it!

Eggs, dairy, FAT, all BAAAAAAD for beer, and some of possibly rancid and poisonous.

Do the pumpkin and a bunch of biscuit malt.

It is cool to put a whole pie in icecream, not beer.

Cheers!

Hey, I live not too far away in Olney MD. I actually just brewed my pumpkin beer last night with the intentions of it tasting like a pumpkin pie, but I certainly didn't just drop a pie it in!! I have to agree with others, that there are probably some ingredients in a full pie that you just don't want in a beer.

I used canned pumpkin and canned pumpkin pie filling in my mash along with a late addition of brown sugar and various spices. It smelled great and i'm hoping fermentation leaves some of that goodness behind.

Best of luck.

Hmmm, these are all good points. Also, I see I accidentally double posted on this topic! Thought the first one didn't take. Good things to think about. I'll touch base on what I decide here shortly but the deconstructed pie idea is certainly the closest.

Back