Pumpkin or Sweet Potatoes for Fall Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foam_top

Reaction score
I've been playing around with the idea of using sweet potatoes in my "pumpkin" beer this year but I'm not convinced it's the right way to go. My thinking is that because pumpkin is such a mild flavor I wanted something more pronounced. I could increase the amount of pumpkin but that will also increase the vegetale flavors, which I would like to avoid. Although I've never had a sweet potato beer I know I like the flavor in my food. However, I also like the mouth-feel of pumpkin in my beers.

Some things to note...
-I will be using canned fruit
-It will be used in the mash (yes, it's a sticky mess)
-It will be a light beer (as opposed to an amber, porter or stout)
-There's a good chance I'll be sharing it with friends/family

Obviously I can't ask the community to decide for me but I would appreciate if you share any experience on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Actually I've read where sweet potatoes have worked out better in pumpkin styles, I for the most part have brewed several pumpkin beers(using canned pumpkin) and the thing that stands out the most is the pumpkin adds a orange hue to lighter beers any vegetal flavor is masked by your spice additions imo, just remember to use plenty of rice hulls thinking a half a pound for 5gallon batch

Brace yourselves folks pumpkin beer season is upon us

A lot of canned pumpkins aren't really pumpkins. Not sure how much that affects flavor and color but figured I'd mention it. I believe Libby's is a well known brand that uses 100% pumpkin.

If you do use real pumpkins, make sure they are cooking pumpkins. They are much sweeter than the decorative pumpkins. Sweet potatoes may work well too. They should add a similar color and they are sweet like cooking pumpkins.

I've used yams and pumpkin and both tasted the same to me. I did find however that the pumpkin provided a richer orange color to the beer which I like so I just stick with the pumpkin. You get the flavors from the spices you put in anyway so in reality you don't really need to add pumpkins/yam/sweet potatoes at all.

Back