Pumpkin in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisharvey

Reaction score
Always put my pumpkin in my mash.i know there's a debate on in mash, in boil, and not at All...

All I want to know is if I use 2lbs of canned pumpkin that I pre-roast how do I calculate it for the mash? Do I treat it like 2 lbs of grain?

I batch sparge in a rectangle cooler and use rice hulls

I've been wondering this because I wanted to add pumpking, (fresh pumpkin), to the mash. I was going to put it on top of the mash, so didn't figure it would add much fermentable sugars, but only flavor.

I put 58 oz in the mash on Saturday. I typically don't get any additional gravity points from mashing it, but I do get some color and a little aroma/flavor in the wort. I think it adds some character, but I don't think it adds any fermentable sugar.

adding canned pumpkin to BS2, it is 3 SRM, 1.005 potential (about the same as any fruit) and 10% yield (mid-range for fruit)

roasting I'm sure changes that, but this is all I have

that help at all?

adding canned pumpkin to BS2, it is 3 SRM, 1.005 potential (about the same as any fruit) and 10% yield (mid-range for fruit)

roasting I'm sure changes that, but this is all I have

I'm curious, do you see any points when you mash pumpkin? I've seen at most an increase of .002, but that is well within the noise of my system. I've brewed a pumpkin beer the past 4 years with just over 3.5 lbs canned pumpkin (caramelized in the oven) added directly to the mash and I see little in the way of added sugar in the wort.

I'm curious, do you see any points when you mash pumpkin? I've seen at most an increase of .002, but that is well within the noise of my system. I've brewed a pumpkin beer the past 4 years with just over 3.5 lbs canned pumpkin (caramelized in the oven) added directly to the mash and I see little in the way of added sugar in the wort.

I'm still new at this, haven't brewed a pumpkin beer yet.

article and recipes were in latest zymurgy and I was planning on brewing one, so I entering recipe into BeerSmith2 and had to research how to enter pumpkin into the program. 1.005 potential and 10% yield means not much added sugar

found this link to another thread in HBT that gave the info to add into BS2

just sipping the first coffee of the day, kickstart the brain. will read thru the article again and try to get some more info to ya

I suppose the 1.005 potential and 10% yield could explain the slight bump in gravity I see in my pumpkin beer. I usually get very close to 65% efficiency and rarely see higher. I wonder if something like a cereal mash could bring out a few more points. That would be interesting to try.

listening to Beersmith podcast interview Gordon Strong and his recipe involves baking the canned mix and adding to boil, not mash

The interesting thing about my recipe is that the pumpkin was used in the boil, not the mash. I used the unflavored Libby's pumpkin puree and roasted it in the oven for a long time. Great color and flavor, but a mess in the carboy. I need a better method for separating it. Uses pumpkin pie spices.

just listened to that part of the podcast:
  • 100% pumpkin puree
  • spread out on baking sheet
  • bake 1 hour @ 400, dries and caramelizes it
  • stir every 15 minutes, don't want it to burn

put it in mesh bag and put it into the boil, so it doesn't carry over into the fermenter

Just look at the can's label -- there's very little sugar in pumpkin, and very little starch that could convert to sugar.

I put 3.5 lbs of roasted fresh pumpkin in the mash and saw only a .001 bump, which could easily have been for any number of reasons. There just aren't enough sugars to make a significant difference (that's why there's so much sugar in a pumpkin pie recipe). I've never done it in the boil, so there may be a difference in how the sugars work in the boil versus the mash.

Latest posts

Back