Pumpkin Graff Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsDC

Reaction score
Did a test batch (1 gallon) of pumpkin graff last night using some light DME that I had on hand and some store bought organic unfiltered apple juice. Added around 1/2 a can of pumpkin puree and 3 fl oz molasses to the mash along with minimal clove, cardamom, and all spice at the end of the boil. Pitched Nottingham. OG 1.06.

The wort (or must?) tasted pretty good. Almost like a buttery spiced cider. Will posts updates as this progresses.

J.S.

I'm thinking about doing a pumpkin mead (with honey instead of DME); how much DME did you add? I'm curious to know how this will turn out. Did you add pectic enzyme?

In the spirit of "winging it", I didn't weight out the DME, but added 1.5 cups to 1/2 gallon of water. Then added pumpkin puree, molasses, and spices to the boil.

I added pectic enzyme to the pasteurized store-bought cider and let that sit while the wort cooled. After an hour I combined the cider and wort in the carboy.

I'm curious to see if the pectic enzyme has any effect. I assume the cider proteins will drop out, but I'm not sure if it will impact the proteins from the wort or pumpkin.

Last night it was definitely fermenting and this morning the airlock was bubbling like a champ, so that's one concern that's been alleviated.

James

It's good! Cleared more than I thought after racking, actually has quite a nice look. Spices (clove in particular) are pronounced without being overwhelming. Pumpkin puree definitely added some body. Sort of an obvious comparison, but it's reminiscent of pumpkin-bread. I'll post a photo tonight.

James

Back