Pumpkin chaos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoGP1000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems everyday I read something crazy another brewery is doing.

I bring this up as I’m getting ready to do my first pumpkin recipe. So I ask? What’s to say we could “purée” a pumpkin pie and just put it in the mash?

Wonder if this has ever been tried..

I have certainly used all of the ingredients that go in to a pumpkin pie in a beer. Minus the flour, eggs and milk. I don't see any reason you couldn't put the whole pie in. I don't think that is going to have the desired effect though. You would probably need 3 or 4 pies.

Add 4 pumpkin pies, 2 cheesecakes for body, 2 cans of cranberry sauce for a little fruitiness, and a blended roasted turkey complete with stuffing.
Great fall beer.

Probably should add an annoying relative who always brings up politics or religion.

Seriously I have made and had quite a few pumpkin beers. The spices shine through very few have much else. It is worth a try just know it’ll be a sticky mess.

I use roasted pumpkin purée in the mash for my pumpkin beer. I add a little brown sugar on top of the purée before I roast it

Exactly what I did . This beer is as dry as an Afghans thong.
Hahaha accurate. I mash a little bit higher to give a little more body, but its certainly fighting to not completely go bone dry. Reminds me its time for me to revise my recipe for 2019 now that i am brewing on a different system. Mid September is Pumpkin Beer brewing season!

Update. Just used pumpkin purée.

Along with other spices, this beer turned out great as a blonde pumpkin pie. I used 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract for 5gallons. Next time I would double that I think. But all in all a great brew for the season

Beer didn’t turn out too dry. There is a lot of spice and sweetener doing on so that probably helped. My final gravity was 1.004

1.004 is the opposite of "Not Dry", in fact its pretty much the definition. A beer that i'd define as sweeter and not dry would end somewhere between 1.015 and 1.025.

1.004 is about as dry as it comes

Also update on mine. Brewed my 2019 version and it came out even better than last year. Its Pumpkin Pie in a glass. Starting gravity was 1.061 and i ended at 1.014, right on target

I used about 2.5lbs of pumpkin puree roasted with brown sugar in the mash, and then a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch for good measure ;)

1.004 is the opposite of "Not Dry", in fact its pretty much the definition. A beer that i'd define as sweeter and not dry would end somewhere between 1.015 and 1.025

1.004 is about as dry as it comes

I guess with the additions it didn’t come across that way. I’ve brewed very dry ipas. This did not have the same effect

Also update on mine. Brewed my 2019 version and it came out even better than last year. Its Pumpkin Pie in a glass. Starting gravity was 1.061 and i ended at 1.014, right on target

I used about 2.5lbs of pumpkin puree roasted with brown sugar in the mash, and then a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch for good measure ;)

This sounds like what I was going for . Sounds delish

For my 3.5 gallon batch, I roasted two butternut squash, probably came to between 3 and 4 lbs, scooped and puree'd, then added to my mash via the mash water.
I had some brown sugar but also a high dosage of crystal to offset the dryness.
Came out pretty good. I can taste the squash but it is somewhat subtle.
I used a tincture in Captain for the spices and think I under-dosed a bit, but I really didn't want it to dominate so I am happy with this first attempt.

Back