Pumpkin bread ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scavenge

Reaction score
Readying to brew a pumpkin ale in the next week or so. Looking to avoid the 'tastes just like pumpkin pie' thing and go more toward a bready, biscuity flavor. Toward that end, I've picked up some Maris Otter LME (which I've heard is good and bready) and Dingeman's Biscuit Malt.

Now, I've read (here) that in order to get the most flavor out of ingredients like oats (which I plan to use) and biscuit malts that they should be mashed rather than steeped, so this batch looks like it'll be my first attempt at partial-mash brewing.

That being the case, I decided to seek out the brewing sages for their advice. I couldn't find them, so I came here.
I kid, I kid.

I was thinking of mashing the oats and biscuit malt first, then continuing from there with the usual extract brewing routine. About 150* or so, for about an hour is what I'm estimating. Does that sound right?

I plan on pouring some bourbon -- and the vanilla beans I've had soaking therein -- into the secondary when I rack over.

I'm also looking to get a bit of a honey taste in the end product, but am undecided as to whether to use actual honey or throw a honey malt into the mash.

So my question, in short, is: how do I get the bready/biscuity and honey flavors I'm aiming for?
Also, recommendations for mashing temperature and amount of grain would be much appreciated. This'll be a 5 gallon batch.

Back