Pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboEtZ207

Reaction score
Château Pale Ale 8 EBC 6kg
Château Munich 25 EBC 1kg
Château Crystal 150 EBC 0,2kg

Roasted pumpkin 2kg
spices 10 min before end of the boil

magnum 25g ´ 12,25% 60 min
mosaic 15g 12% 10 min
irish moss 10g 15 min

yeast

SafAle English Ale S-04 or US-05 ?

How this will work ?
If i mash my grains and later when i start boil i will add pumpkin (baked pumpkin) is it ok ?
Or i should add whith grains to mash tun ? (mash cap is 7,5kg grains)

Last edited:
I haven't tried adding pumpkin to the boil. I do biab and add to the mash a can of pumpkin (for a 2.25G batch) that I've first roasted in the oven for an hour, spread over a cookie sheet. If adding to the mash, it's very important to add rice hulls to the grainbill as well, otherwise trying to drain the bag afterwards will result in big time clogging and a hot mess.

Mash, boil, fermenter - all will work, just depends on your objective.

Mash, boil, fermenter - all will work, just depends on your objective.
I have a cooler and max grain will be 7,5 kg thats is why i am asking this.
If i could mash my grains and add the pumpkin on boiling it would be nice.
I think i must try and see :p
Thank you for helping :p

But what yeast

I have a cooler and max grain will be 7,5 kg thats is why i am asking this.
If i could mash my grains and add the pumpkin on boiling it would be nice.
I think i must try and see :p
Thank you for helping :p

But what yeast

I pureed my roasted pumpkin (actually butternut squash - nice orange color and more flavor) and put it in the strike water as it heated.
I did this so that I could reliably hit my mash temp.
It went in the mash and not the boil and worked great.
I will say some of the squash pulp did make it all the way into the finished beer even with the mash lauter filtering, etc..
The result was good color and subtle flavor, but the beer is opaque hazy.
I think I used "Denny's Favorite 50" yeast.

Last weekend, I brewed a "Perfect Pumpkin Ale" Recipe by Mark Pasquinelli, using 5 lbs of roasted Butternut Squash, diced and placed in a bag, in the boil. Obviously no issues with a stuck mash. Plenty of trub in the kettle. Start to finish in 6 hours, which is rather quick for me, especially for a pumpkin. Not having it in the mash means no stuck mash. But it also means that there is no starch conversion for the "pumpkin." Attenuation was exactly on target, at 1.063. Safale S-04, started working after about 12 hours, with blow-off happening at 24 hours, and i was back on an airlock after 72 hours. After a week, it is down to 1.016, a bit lower than target, but taste seems solid for only one week. Another week in the carboy, and on to the keg. I know. Wrong time of year, but it is what it is.

I like a hefe yeast for pumpkin beers. Surprisingly the banana ester accentuates the pumpkin. If you roast your pumpkin, you don't need to worry about mashing for starch conversion...you will pull a lot of sugar out, and cover with sprinkled brown sugar towards the end of the roast to cover the rest of the starch conversion. The clove notes from the yeast do wonders for the feeling of pumpkin pie without the overwhelming nature of the nutmeg. Ferment at a slightly lower temp than recommended for the yeast style to keep the banana at bay, but the slight banana addition will surprise you at what it does for the overall flavor

I like a hefe yeast for pumpkin beers. Surprisingly the banana ester accentuates the pumpkin. If you roast your pumpkin, you don't need to worry about mashing for starch conversion...you will pull a lot of sugar out, and cover with sprinkled brown sugar towards the end of the roast to cover the rest of the starch conversion. The clove notes from the yeast do wonders for the feeling of pumpkin pie without the overwhelming nature of the nutmeg. Ferment at a slightly lower temp than recommended for the yeast style to keep the banana at bay, but the slight banana addition will surprise you at what it does for the overall flavor
What temp do you ferment at?

Latest posts

Back