Pumpkin Ale has little to no cabonation after bottling, any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampete1

Reaction score
I recently brewed a pumpkin ale, that fermented great, started with an OG around 1.054 and finished at 1.012. I bottled with 3/4 cup of corn sugar and let sit for 10 days. I put four bottles in the fridge at 10 days to try and all four bottles had low to no carbonation. Could this be because they need to bottle condition a bit longer? Should I have used more priming sugar? Is it possible the yeast died during fermentation or bottling?

10 days, and you really expected it to be ready????????

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

With a pumpkin beer, in my experience, you need to think about 6-8 weeks of carbing/bottle conditioning time.

I have a pumpkin ale from AHS and its been 5 weeks in a bottle. its just barely carbonated enough to drink. I'll give it a few more weeks and it should be perfect. now if i can keep from drinking it :) Like Revvy says be patient and let the yeasties do their job.

when I saw three replies, I really thought I could get in before Revvy, but I think he has some kind of RSS set up to his smartphone to alert him to bottle conditioning threads. He got there in 6 minutes!

Nice work.

To the OP, check your temps too... I was trying to bottle condition in a storage area of my basement with exposed, uninsulated foundation, but when I checked the temp it was about 61-62*F and the yeasties were dormant. If there's any question, take a jar of water and leave it a day where you're conditioning and take the temp of the water (fermometer, probe therm, or lab thermometer). It'll give you an idea what temps you're running, and if it's like mine, a move to another part of the basement will give you the extra temp you need. My cooler area will work great to age after carbing, and maybe even to primary lagers as winter sets in (it's above freezing outside now, but will hit -40* before winter's over, so it should get to mid 50's in my little "cellar").

Thanks for all the replies, I was hoping it was just a matter of waiting. The recipe I was following said to wait after bottling for 10-14 days, but obviously that is incorrect.

Back