Pump volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingwmelon

Reaction score
I built my chiller today and am going to use a recirc pump submerged in a bucket with ice. It is not feasable for me to use tap water right now. My question is how many gallon an hour pump should I invest in. Harbour freight has a 190 gal per hour pump for around $20.00 is this enough volume to cool the a 5 gal batch quickly? If not what should I be looking for volume wise?
Thanks

Your at 3.16 GPM the pump's rating at this maximum flow spec is at the minimum of restriction. The flow resistance your chiller will added will reduce your GPM flow by a large amount. What's the head pressure the pump will handle in feet, not the cutoff point as the flow near cutoff will be 1/10th in GPM / GPH of the pump's advertized specs. A larger pump you can throttle the flow down, too small your doomed with a underpowered pump. JMO.

I tested the 190gph pump and got 37gph through 25' of 3/8" copper. This works fine for chilling five gallons from 75F to lager pitch temp, but it would take quite a while to make a delta of 150 F degrees.

Unless you get your ice for free, I'd not suggest using icewater until below 100ish.

I tested the 190gph pump and got 37gph through 25' of 3/8" copper. This works fine for chilling five gallons from 75F to lager pitch temp, but it would take quite a while to make a delta of 150 F degrees.

Unless you get your ice for free, I'd not suggest using icewater until below 100ish.

Well that cut your pump output down to 19.47% of the original flow numbers.
This tells me your chiller is long plus small in diameter on the ID plus
takes higher pressure to overcome the liquid frictional losses pushing
your chilled water. I'm a "bigger is better" person with larger mag drive
pumps like the Little Giants, no pissing around with gutless wonders as
you can restrict the flow it needed.

Back