pump setup question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheClaw

Reaction score
I'm getting a pump for my bday, and I'm trying to decide how to set it up. I want to use it to move hot water from my bk to my hlt cooler. Then use it to fly sparge into the mash tun. I would like to be able to not have to connect anything and just use the valve on the bk to fill up my carboys. Can I use clamps along with the hi temp silicone tubing because I don't want to spend the money on all the camlocks. Side question is the chugger center ss a good pump for 10g batches? I want to be mobile so I can move it around. Thanks

Edit
Can camlocks let the wort flow out if I connect them to a ball valve and open it up, or do ai need to attach the other end of a camlock?

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Chugger or a March for 10g batches. As to hoses: I really think you'll want/need some form of connector, even if not cam locks.

I suppose you could, in theory, do as you suggest, but pulling the hoses on and off the barbs gets old fast, and depending on how sharp the barbs are could damage the hoses. Repeatedly tightening down clamps can also tear up hoses.

Yes you can move hoses between barbs, but it is a pain. I have my pump setup so I do not use a hose between the source vessel and the pump. I have a female cam-lock on the pump and male on the vessels. I also have a ball valve with a a small air vent built in on the outlet of the pump. I do use cam-locks on the outlet but it is not needed, you could put a hose barb on the outlet of the valve if you wanted.

I like this setup because it was pretty cheep (you would only need 2 male and 1 female cam-lock) and I have NEVER had priming problems.

If you open the valve it will flow through a cam-lock.

Oh one more tip, I have a outdoor light remote control that I plug into the pump. It lets me turn the pump on and off easily from the front of my brewing setup (power is on the back side to keep it out of the way) and lets me hold the end of the hose when I turn on the pump. It is not fun to have the free end of a hose spray all over you....from experience :(

You will love your pump it makes brewing so much easier.

Back